Hogs don't swivel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WeldonDowd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm replacing some hoses on a set of Hog regs and one doesn't swivel when connected to the hose. The nut holding the barrel on is too short and the threads hit inside the hose and stop the hose connection from swiveling. The other first stage is newer and has a longer nut that solved the problem. Wth? Do I need to put a stainless washer in there? What did everyone do before they solved this problem? They owner of this reg said he never noticed. I tried multiple hoses and same result.

Last edited:
Ha! Sorry; was in a hurry. Alright, I have two Hog second stages in front of me. When you put a second stage on a lp hose the hose connection is supposed to swivel freely. I have one hog second (about four years old) that will not let this happen and was wondering how this could be. What have others done? I can't have the only Hog second in front of me built like this. I can take that second and put it on 6 different hoses and it still won't let the hose connection swivel. The other Hog second stage (brand new) is a little different at the connection and allows any hose to swivel freely.

Have you had it apart and left out the o ring behind the jam nut?
If not you could put another one there or better still use a different hose.

I've had this happen very occasionally with 2nd stages as well as pressure gauges.

As far as I know it's never been apart. I took off the jam nut on both regs to see if something was different and nothing is missing. The only difference is the jam nut is longer on the new one. I've tried 6 different hoses.

A picture's worth a thousand words. Being able to "see" it would help. Obviously something is amiss.

First time I have herd of this problem. I have nine HOG second stages some dating back to there first introduction and many friends with them also and have never herd an issue like this. Did the old owner have have this same problem? Maybe try posting in the Edge Hog forum.

Both of my sets do this too. I assumed it was just how they were designed. They are just standard rubber hoses.

It works okay when you only have one set of the LP ports used (there are 2 on each side), but when you have one on each side for house routing it is a pain as you have like 15-20deg movement.

There is a heat sink (deep metal thing) and a nut (shorter metal thing) at the end of the adjustment tube where the hose attaches. If one of those things is a different size than your new one, maybe the prior owner replaced it with a non standard part. But I still don't understand what you mean by the threads hitting inside the hose and keeping the hose from swiveling. There is an o-ring inside the female end of the hose. No matter how deep the threads are, it should still swivel. As the wise Buddha says, a picture would be good.

Both of my sets do this too. I assumed it was just how they were designed. They are just standard rubber hoses.

It works okay when you only have one set of the LP ports used (there are 2 on each side), but when you have one on each side for house routing it is a pain as you have like 15-20deg movement.

We are talking about a second stage connection here, not a first stage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom