New Divers and Basic Scuba color changes

Do you like the font/color change?

• No. Please put all the forums back to the same font

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Yes. I like it the Bolded Navy color.

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Yes. But I think it needs a different color.

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • What font change? I can't tell any difference.

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • I like the idea, but want a better way to identify those forums.

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Other - for everyone who says their choice wasn't listed on the poll.

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • I like the SeaGreen color

Votes: 7 25.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cave Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
We are testing a change to the titles of the New Divers and the Basic Scuba forums to a bolded navy color. The purpose of this test is to give a visual reminder when people select new posts that they are entering the "friendly, flame free zone" and that special rules apply.

Depending on feedback and results of this test, this may or may not be a permanent change.

I understand and applaud the idea... Just checked it out and really the navy font just makes the title harder to read. Yellow or orange would have more contrast. Alternatively, is it possible to change the background on these two areas? That would make it more obvious- especially for people who access new posts through 'new posts' and don't always register where they are heading to.

Between this and the thanks button, they have you working hard today! All your efforts to keep this a happy and welcoming community are duly appreciated.

Personally, I find the bold blue font quite easy to read. Changing the colour is another alternative, of course, but I don't think yellow would show up well against white. Perhaps it depends on what version of the board is being used and what browser.

I understand and applaud the idea... Just checked it out and really the navy font just makes the title harder to read. Yellow or orange would have more contrast. Alternatively, is it possible to change the background on these two areas? That would make it more obvious- especially for people who access new posts through 'new posts' and don't always register where they are heading to.

Between this and the thanks button, they have you working hard today! All your efforts to keep this a happy and welcoming community are duly appreciated.

Tests that we've conducted amongst the staff indicate that yellows or oranges can be hard for some people with vision problems to see. Another reason for choosing the navy was to keep the board from looking like a rainbow threw up. :)

I am not aware of any method for accessible to me for changing the background color. We are hoping to keep the reminder visible, yet subtle.

Depending on the user input we might try varying shades of blue, with or without the bold, or possibly black.

Avoiding the vomiting rainbow effect is always good! The difference between the blues is visable- though subtle- on the matrix page. Where I had reading issues is at the top of the actual forum, when the heading is on the red and blue background.

We are testing a change to the titles of the New Divers and the Basic Scuba forums to a bolded navy color. The purpose of this test is to give a visual reminder when people select new posts that they are entering the "friendly, flame free zone" and that special rules apply.

Depending on feedback and results of this test, this may or may not be a permanent change.

If I hadn't read this thread I'd never have known that those two forums were a "bluer shade of blue."

In fact, when I went to check them out just now, I had to really look hard to try to detect the difference.

Further, even if one could detect the difference in color, in order for that to have the desired effect, posters would need to have an "always top-of-mind" understanding of what that color difference was supposed to convey. They won't, for several reasons. Primary reason is that the two different shades of blue have no innate meaning or connotation themselves, nor is the difference between the two specifically meaningful.

Color differences can be use to enhance communication clarity, if you leverage the known/understood connotations that colors have.

For example, you could clearly use PINK for a forum for "girls" and Blue for a forum for "boys" and everyone in the world would immediately understand the difference.

Or if various forum titles were RED, GREEN and AMBER people would have a clear understanding that there is some sort of "Stop" vs "Go" vs "Use Caution" difference between the forums. Not suggesting those colors per se, just pointing out how certain colors can clearly convey specific meaning.

Last edited:
For example, if different forum titles were RED, GREEN and AMBER people would have a clear understanding that there is "Stop" vs "Go" vs "Use Caution" difference between the forums. Not suggesting those colors per se, just pointing out how certain colors can clearly convey specific meaning.

You know, after seeing my post above in color...

I think using GREEN for the forums in question would be a pretty good solution:

New Divers and Those Considering Diving

Basic Scuba Discussions

Green means "go" and "safe" and "harmony." In advertising we use it to trigger feelings of "hope" and "optimism" and "natural balance." It's also often used to encourage "trust" and "sharing" and "responsiveness."

Psychologically green is widely known to have a "calming" effect which is why it's used in hospitals, mental health facilities, and such. Perhaps that's reason enough to use Green for those two forums.

:eyebrow:

You know, after seeing my post above in color...

I think using GREEN for the forums in question would be a pretty good solution:

New Divers and Those Considering Diving

Basic Scuba Discussions

Green means "go" and "safe" and "harmony." In advertising we use it to trigger feelings of "hope" and "optimism" and "natural balance." It's also often used to encourage "trust" and "sharing" and "responsiveness."

Psychologically green is widely known to have a "calming" effect which is why it's used in hospitals, mental health facilities, and such. Perhaps that's reason enough to use Green for those two forums.

:eyebrow:

Good suggestions RJP. We tried various color schemes out on the Mod Forums and found that GREEN was one of the ones that a few people had trouble distinguishing.

I may try changing colors every few days for a week or so and then posting a poll for what the users feel work best and stands out the most without negatively impacting their browsing experience.

Good suggestions RJP. We tried various color schemes out on the Mod Forums and found that GREEN was one of the ones that a few people had trouble distinguishing.

I may try changing colors every few days for a week or so and then posting a poll for what the users feel work best and stands out the most without negatively impacting their browsing experience.

Also note, that I would suggest moving the "Q&A For Agencies" forum out of the "Scuba Diving Central" or at least out of the top and down to the bottom of the section. Listing "New Divers and Those Considering Diving" and "Basic Scuba Discussions" first (and in green) would also help to convey that these two forums are "entry level" forums...

GreenTitles.png

PS - do note that the relatively high prevalence of red-green color blindness (up to 10% of male population) might make this less than ideal for some individuals, the shade of green shown would still be seen as being a "different" color than the blues of the other forum titles.

Also note, that I would suggest moving the "Q&A For Agencies" forum out of the "Scuba Diving Central" or at least out of the top and down to the bottom of the section. Listing "New Divers and Those Considering Diving" and "Basic Scuba Discussions" first (and in green) would also help to convey that these two forums are "entry level" forums...

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/data/500/medium/GreenTitles.png

PS - do note that the relatively high prevalence of red-green color blindness (up to 10% of male population) might make this less than ideal for some individuals, the shade of green shown would still be seen as being a "different" color than the blues of the other forum titles.

Our Madison Avenue man is working on the weekend. :thumb:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom