Hellpp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BCscubadive

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
hi I was just wondering why people carry snorkels when they go scuba diving, maybe this is obvious, but I have no idea!!! plese help

Some people simply do it out of obligation because certain dive boats/beaches require it. I personally use one because I do at least a portion of my surface swim face down and don't want to waste the tank air. Also, sometimes during a dive I'll surface and just kind of "hang out" on the ocean surface and I like to look down at the underwater scenery without using up my air.

I don't wear one when I'm diving, but I do carry one. I carry one for emergencies, i.e. - the boat left w/o me. I'll also use it to do some snorkeling during a SI.

For many divers, they were trained with a snorkel and they do what they were trained to do.

It is a matter of gas conservation. You can't always anchor right above where you want to dive or can't always surface right under the boat. Surface swims are much more comfortable with a snorkel if you don't want to waste the gas on your back. Something has to go really wrong, or I am out of bottom time, to get me aboard with more than 300 PSI on a recreation dive.

Adjusting your weight for neutral buoyancy is also a factor. A snorkel's value is diminished if your life-jacket BC is ¾ full of air.

Snorkels also let you entertain yourself on the surface while waiting for other divers to get in the water or up the ladder. The view underwater is more interesting to me. I guess there is no reason to use a snorkel if you don’t mind pushing doubles through the water on a no-D dive or cutting your bottom time. I leave the snorkel onboard when using closed-circuit or surface supply.

However, if you are not comfortable using a snorkel, leave it home or freedive until you are.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom