Reef Seekers 11/4, Great Escape

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

famous58

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all.

Had a question about the Reef Seekers trip on 11/4. I saw that the 11/4 trip is to Santa Barbara and saw somewhere that it departs at 1am. I have five people (including me) interested in this trip. If the boat departs at 1am do we have access to the bunks? Can you get on the boat the night before?

Just wondering as I've never been on an extended trip

That's what that means on other boats, but I've never been on the G.E. Give the boat a call directly and I'm sure they can tell you. Or the shop, for that matter.

I've slept on Great Escape the night before a trip organized by Reef Seekers (chamber day). Call Ken or contact the boat directly. A lot of people like to sack out early and hope the late arrivals are quiet as little mice when they bunk.

http://californiadiveboats.com/

famous58:
Hello all.

Had a question about the Reef Seekers trip on 11/4. I saw that the 11/4 trip is to Santa Barbara and saw somewhere that it departs at 1am. I have five people (including me) interested in this trip. If the boat departs at 1am do we have access to the bunks? Can you get on the boat the night before?

Just wondering as I've never been on an extended trip

How fun. How long is the trip for?

Hello Famous58,

Since Ken hasn't chimed in yet (he is a member here) I will answer your question since I DM for Reefseekers.

Yes, you are required to board the boat the night before the trip, in this case Santa Barbara Island. Bunks are available to everyone. You can reserve a state room for an additional charge. When boarding the boat, place you tank on the side where there is a number. THAT number will be your sign in number. Place your dive bag along the side towards the bow of the boat, find yourself a bunk...after you have done that, You will be required to fill out 4 pieces of paper: you will be required to sign in on the ships manifest along with your certification #; you will then sign Reefseekers roster along with your certification #, certification level, date of last dive, and # of life time dives; you will also be asked if you are taking game, and if so, you will need your liscense and #; you will also be asked if you need a buddy; then there are two waivers that need to be signed. Be sure to have your certification card with you, we need to SEE it. Once your paperwork is completed, you can set up your BC. You will be asked to work from your dive back. This is for everyone's safety and to keep the deck clear. You will be required to attend the 'briefing' which will be done around 10:45pm. After that, you can stay up, or go to sleep. The Captain will announce in the morning as we get close to the first dive site.

Important things to remember:

1)Bring your own Tank and Weights; extra weights if you need a weight check if you are unsure of proper weighting.

2)Nitrox and Rebreathers are not allowed on Reefseeker Trips.

3)Again, REMEMBER your C-Card.

4)Santa Barbara Island is the intended destination, however, can change due to weather, swells, currents, ect.

We made our last trip to SBI. We had lots of Sea Lions play with us and some of us spotted Giant Black Sea Bass.

Any other questions you might have, contact Ken Kurtis at Reefseekers (310) 652-4990.

Hopefully, I'll see you on the boat!

Thanks Jan, very helpful, we wont feel like first timers when we get there!

I was prevy to the rebreather incident anyway, but I too wonder why no nitrox? I'm getting certified in nitrox this weekend and I thought I saw that the GE does have a nitrox fill on the boat.

Also, how many dives do you usually get in at SBI?

Thanks again for all the helpful info!

famous58:
Thanks Jan, very helpful, we wont feel like first timers when we get there!

I was prevy to the rebreather incident anyway, but I too wonder why no nitrox? I'm getting certified in nitrox this weekend and I thought I saw that the GE does have a nitrox fill on the boat.

Also, how many dives do you usually get in at SBI?

Thanks again for all the helpful info!

The Great Escape does NOT fill nitrox on the boat so from that perspective the point is moot.

As for Ken's position on Nitrox, it's been somewhat of a moving target to pin Ken down over the years, but as I understand his NO nitrox stance it's several fold:

1) If a Nitrox trained diver asks a question of one of his DM's who isn't nitrox trained, and that DM gives the wrong answer and the nitrox diver gets hurt, then Ken thinks there is an additional liability issue;

2) Most of the boats in L.A. do not pump Nitrox on the boats, so as a result if you show up with a Nitrox filled tank for dive 1, and when you need a fill afterwards you'll be pumping regular old into a Nitrox tank;

BTW, in addition to not allowing RB's or Nitrox Ken doesn't allow double tanks so showing up with a set of doubles filled with the gas you'll use all day won't work either.

Ken is a member to this list so perhaps he'll chime in but as I understand his position the above pretty much sums it up..

Lastly, the way Ken runs his trip are that they have gate times wherein you need to be "back on the boat", if everyone follows the gate times you usually get 4 dives. If everyone shows up late you'll only get 3 dives.

Back
Top Bottom