Diving conditions San Diego Wreck Alley

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

celo

Reaction score
I have a dive trip scheduled on the Louis Ann this Saturday and am concerned about the weather conditions as I have 2 novice divers with me and one intermediate. I have heard the temp is around 50 and vis less then 5feet. Can anybody respond and let me know what the conditions are ?

Thank you,
Jim

Hello Jim,

This might help ..

Daily Diving Conditions
For daily information on diving conditions, as well as the local beach and weather report, call (619) 221-8824. Remember, for the latest information on the area and conditions, check with a lifeguard before diving.

I think I will be seeing you on wed. and will touch bases w/u on this.

Bob

dove the Ruby E last night ...water temp at depth(65-81') was 59 deg. F surface water temp was 64 deg while the air temp was around 68 deg. According to the local weather a slight Santa Anna is building until around thursday night (warming due to off shore winds). However temps are supposed to drop off for the weekend ...It's getting to be drysuite season. Fortunitely the distance from Lois Ann slip to Wreck Alley is only about 20 minutes of travel time. Bring a warm jacket for the drive back in.

Vis was 15-25' with alot of particulates in the water, Keep in mind there are two tide swings in San Diego daily and that means alot of water flowing in and out of Mission Bay (Wreck Alley is just off shore of the mouth of Mission Bay). Check the tide charts for amount of water movement. It will give you an idea of what the vis will be Saturday

Hopefully you will hit a slack time in the tide swing. Also bug (Lobster) season starts Friday Night/Sat. morning which means lots of fisherman out in the Mission Beach -Pacific Beach Basin (all around Wreck Alley) hoop netting and commercial fisherman dropping traps stirring up the bottom ...

Any dive in Wreck Alley is a good dive IMHO you will have a great time regardless.

Skull:
dove the Ruby E last night ...water temp at depth(65-81') was 59 deg. F surface water temp was 64 deg while the air temp was around 68 deg. According to the local weather a slight Santa Anna is building until around thursday night (warming due to off shore winds). However temps are supposed to drop off for the weekend ...It's getting to be drysuite season. Fortunitely the distance from Lois Ann slip to Wreck Alley is only about 20 minutes of travel time. Bring a warm jacket for the drive back in.

Vis was 15-25' with alot of particulates in the water, Keep in mind there are two tide swings in San Diego daily and that means alot of water flowing in and out of Mission Bay (Wreck Alley is just off shore of the mouth of Mission Bay). Check the tide charts for amount of water movement. It will give you an idea of what the vis will be Saturday

Hopefully you will hit a slack time in the tide swing. Also bug (Lobster) season starts Friday Night/Sat. morning which means lots of fisherman out in the Mission Beach -Pacific Beach Basin (all around Wreck Alley) hoop netting and commercial fisherman dropping traps stirring up the bottom ...

Any dive in Wreck Alley is a good dive IMHO you will have a great time regardless.

Wow you know viz is all relative, my wife and I were diving molasses today and we had about 50 feet. On the way back we were saying the viz was nice but could of been better.

Jim... Dived on the Lois Ann Last Week. Temps on the Yukon were about 55 degrees, and the viz was about 35-40 feet. The Ruby E was slightly warmer about 57 degrees, with less viz about 20-25 feet. Viz can change daily though, as well as the water temps.

in san diego ...anything more than 20' is considered good vis. Last winter while on the Ruby E and the Yukon we dove with 100' vis ... that was a gift from Posidon ...I wouldn't count on that this weekend ...seems due to a slight el nino' this summer the warmer than usual water temps are stunting the growth of kelp ..which breakdown and become particulates in the water ...either way this sat. will be a pleasant day since everyday in October in San Diego is balmy while the nights are very cool.

I did a dive on the Yukon yesterday.. Vis was 20-25 ft (which is excellent for the Yukon).. Water temp was about 55-57F. Unfortunately, there was quite a current blowing also... but all in all, it was a great dive.
On the P38 today, we had about 40+ft vis, temp of 59F (at 134 ft).. no current.. Hopefully conditions will stay nice for a while :)

Ruby E and El Rey both had 20-25 ft vis today, and calm conditions.. :) Just cross your fingers for the conditions to hold for your dives!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom