Ace I Wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rainer

Contributor
Reaction score
After Blackwood and I dived the UB88 (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/socal/357996-chris-marc-dive-ub88.html), we headed over for a dive on the Ace I. She's a WWII LCI (Landing Craft Infantry) that was later converted to a fishing barge, before soon sinking off San Pedro, CA. She rests upside down in about 120'.

Conditions were decent on the bottom. The wreck is covered in gorgonia and metridiums (one of the shallower SoCal wrecks to see so many). Large schools of blacksmith and vermilion rock fish dot the site. We saw 6-7 large lings just hanging out in the sand. A very pretty wreck.

[vimeo]16408565[/vimeo]

Really appropriate description: seems there was a "guard" posted at every corner! Would probably help, though, if they weren't so easy to scare off. :)

Really appropriate description: seems there was a "guard" posted at every corner! Would probably help, though, if they weren't so easy to scare off. :)
You have to move very slow and spend a lot of time near them. It helps if you tickle their belly.
Picture043.jpg

Lingcod3.jpg

I managed to get quite close to a pair (one is in the video), but if you try, they certainly go a swimming. Not exactly ferocious guard dogs. :)

Great shots by the way!

Back
Top Bottom