Prejudice against solo divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slackercruster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Recently retuned from a trip to Florida found much prejudice from many springs towards solo divers even though I use redundant air supply. Have you experienced much discrimination against solo diving? Florida is not only place, was turned away at some sites in Ohio as well.

Thanks

At Edmonds dive park in WA, you can get a hefty fine. $500.00 I think.

I have had it happen. I think most who dive solo on a regular basis have run in to it. Like Rick mentions fines for it aren't an uncommon occurance either.

I wonder if holding the C-card from SDI would have any influence in instances where the operator doesn't feel secure with it going on...

I have thought about getting it just for this purpose...

no, I never have but its worrisome that it could "spread".

That's the only thing I worry about with certain "dive philosophies", that they gain enough influence to impact regulations for everyone.

Now that SDI is certifying people for solo, I would hope that it would stop spreading, and people would become more tolerant of it. I bet a lot of older dives would be shocked to see a solo c-card.

Those springs in Florida already are quite risky, since they let people without cavern training into caverns and even the cave area in some cases. I'm not surprised they are stricter than most places. But none of the Florida state parks with springs will let you solo either.

catherine96821:
no, I never have but its worrisome that it could "spread".

That's the only thing I worry about with certain "dive philosophies", that they gain enough influence to impact regulations for everyone.

I don't expect it to spread ... rather the opposite, in fact.

"Prejudices" are typically nothing more than a natural (or "vested") resistance to change ... I think we'll see something similar to what happened to the opposition to the recreational use of Nitrox some 15 years ago ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Yes, I run into it on dive boats often. I had a life guard once ask me where my buddy was as I emerged from the water. I looked at him and waved, out there somewhere, got in my car and left. They are probably still looking for him. I don't know, people, including the authorities need to mind their buisness sometimes. N

Buddies have their place. Although the concept of buddies is a through back to the J valve when they did not have pressure gauges, BC;s or octopus 2nds.

BTW, when I mentioned the solo dive cert. to one spring they laughed at it and said the main certifiers P and N do not recognize it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom