Solo diving and back up gear.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I need some help in putting together and back up system for when I solo dive. My LDS will only let me dive if I have a back up system and you must be cert for solo diving. ( SSI cert ) SO any help in this area would be helpfull.
Thanks
Matt

Hi
The SDI course will tell you about a range of suggested backup equipment, most importantly, your air source. I use a pony for solo clipped to my left chest D-rng, though double tanks would be a great alternative.

Here's what I would use:

Pony bottle: 30-40cf, mounted to left shoulder and left hip D-rings, used to a max of 60 feet.

Doubles: Whatever size you want, most likely AL80s, isolation manifold and all the appropriate regs/hoses/wing/etc, for use at any depth, up to the max of your training.

Doubles with stage/deco bottles: That's tech diving, not solo diving, but definitley recommended if you're below 130.

i suppose that if you get the cert., you will find out what to get :). How does the LDS control what you do?

Of course this depends on the diving you are doing but for the average recreational dive (excuse the assumption), you should be fine with a minimal <read simple> setup including:
SBM or liftbag and small reel
Single Cylinder and H-valve with 2 Regs (first and second only - no octo's)
[not necessary IMO, but a drysuit would really round off redundancy]

You can go with a pony but why muck with it if is not necessary. Minimal gear is always less complicated and less effort. Its the task loading that will create problems.

rjchandler:
i suppose that if you get the cert., you will find out what to get :). How does the LDS control what you do?

if you use there dive boat.

teknitroxdiver:
Here's what I would use:

Pony bottle: 30-40cf, mounted to left shoulder and left hip D-rings, used to a max of 60 feet.

Doubles: Whatever size you want, most likely AL80s, isolation manifold and all the appropriate regs/hoses/wing/etc, for use at any depth, up to the max of your training.

Doubles with stage/deco bottles: That's tech diving, not solo diving, but definitley recommended if you're below 130.

Gosh
AL 40 for down to 60 feet. Most guys I dive with could have a rather decent dive with just the 40 at that depth! But why just down to 60 feet?

So what is your recommendation for 60 to 130 feet, if the doubles begin at 130? I woudl think that a 40 would be good to get you back very comfortably from recreational depths, with your buddy if you don't dally...I think 48 cf is the rock bottom for 130 feet...

"You can go with a pony but why muck with it if is not necessary. Minimal gear is always less complicated and less effort. "

Let's see... Placing a pony reg in one's mouth: 1-2 seconds. Placing a backup reg in your mouth, reaching behind your neck, figuring out which valve to shut down, shutting it down, hoping you have enough air to reach the surface: depends on the diver, but *always* slower.... Yeah right, much less effort and less complication than a pony... Plus h-valves aren't a redundant air source, which any decent solo diving course will require.

CRDiver:
"You can go with a pony but why muck with it if is not necessary. Minimal gear is always less complicated and less effort. "

Let's see... Placing a pony reg in one's mouth: 1-2 seconds. Placing a backup reg in your mouth, reaching behind your neck, figuring out which valve to shut down, shutting it down, hoping you have enough air to reach the surface: depends on the diver, but *always* slower.... Yeah right, much less effort and less complication than a pony... Plus h-valves aren't a redundant air source, which any decent solo diving course will require.

I here what you are saying but, for Recreational diving, an H is quite acceptable (even beyond rec. any differences would be deemed by the requirements of the dive). One tank on your back is just "nicer" for many reasons, then a pony hanging off your side too. One should be proficient at managing valves. There is no figuring out, it is actually very easy. It is also NOT necessary to accomplish this in 1 or 2 seconds. Additionally, the surface is a few kicks away for most rec. diving. Most importantly relax, think and address your problem calmly.

So, you solo with a Pony? Does that Pony have an Octo. SPG, and BC inflator too? How many life threatening failures have forced you to the pony? Did you call the dive immediately and hit the surface as you should have? Could you have not reached to surface without switching to the pony? Diving doesn't have to be cumbersome to be enjoyed and done effectively.

A measure of realism should accompany your risk analysis.

I get a kick out of the "Posers" who rec. dive with more gear than I would use for a tech dive. They are the ones with the Argon bottle in 55deg. water.

Mike,

I dive with a drysuit, backplate w/Transplate harness, E8-130 single, 19 cu. ft. pony, DIN Zeagle/Apeks regs, SPG on both primary and pony reg, one 2nd stage on each 1st stage. My buddy has the same configuration. Have I had to use my pony in an emergency? Yes. Did I call the dive? Yep. Could I have ascended without it? Probably, but the pony made the trip slower. Do I or my buddy find it cumbersome? Not at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom