Recommendations diving in Taganga - Colombia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nami

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am looking to dive in Colombia again, and this time to travel with my sister who just got OW certified. We have about 4 days for (easy) diving - third week of May.

Since I have been diving already in:

Isla Rosario (not so great, looked pretty overfished to me)
San Andres (easy and some good sites)
Providencia (loved it!)
....and believe that Malpelo will be a bit challenging for a newly certified, plus I don't think we have enought time, Taganga/Tyrona sounds to be a good choice

Looking for Taganga info on:
1. Dive ops
2. Water temps in May
3. Marine life (compared to those sites mentioned above)
4. Accomodations (with hot water) - is it possible to stay in Santa Marta and then travel everyday to Taganga for the dives? What type of transportation is there between SMR and Taganga?

Gorgona could be also an option - but again, not sure if 4 days are enough, difficulty level for a newly certified, and getting there from Chile might be bit more complicated than Taganga.

Thanks!!

Hi Nami,

you can look at the Operators at the dive shop locator Site at www. padi.com
Water temp end of may should be around 25/26° with low wind. usually the winds stops end of may
Marine Life you can check PIC on FB or on youtube
NO HOT WATER IN TAGANGA in Santa Marta only Hotel La Casa de Isabella for sure.
Transport Sta Marta - Taganga 10-15min by Taxi around 8000 Pesos more or less 4,5 USD, or public buses 1200 Pesos
Malpelo is not an option, min Adv diver with 50 dives required.
Gorgona 2 options:
Liverboats boarding in Buenaventura or Guapi first you need to go to Cali
or direct on the Islands then you have to book through Aviatur.
Hope could help you
Max

1). It's easy to go between Taganga and Santa Marta, it should cost you no more than 8,000COP for a taxi (4,000-5,000COP for a motor taxi if you have no gear) or you can grab a public bus for 1,200.
2). There is no hot water in Taganga as far as I know and the hostel I stayed at didn't have hot water either. That said it's EXTREMELY warm and humid the all the time in that area so I doubt you'd actually use it anyway.
3). In terms of dive companies in my mind you have three main options; POSEIDON DIVE CENTER - Buceo en Santa Marta Colombia - (which is owned by the guy who replied to you above. Extremely helpful guy - was away when I wanted to dive and thus missed meeting him), http://www.quimeradivers.com/ (owned by a marine biologist, max groups are 3 and they will always dive in Tayrona regardless of the number of people) and Oceano Scuba who claim to be the first dive shop in Taganga, they also have an amazing lodge which you can stay at for free.

Poseidon is 150,000COP for two dives, Quimera is 182,000COP Oceano is the cheapest at 110,000COP. Those prices include all equipment rental, plus drinks, fruit and lunch. Poseidon also offers free computer rental.

I found the diving to be a little lackluster in Taganga to be honest, the further away you get from Taganga the better it is. There is a lot of coral damage and the area seems to be getting over fished. Taganga itself is also a drug **** hole filled with Gringos getting messed up on LSD/Cocaine the whole time - so if you do dive there then I'd suggest staying in Santa Marta.

You can read about my trip there and also look at some pictures: Diving In Taganga With Oceano Review | Adventures With Will

Another option would be to dive in Cartagena, instead of doing Rosario you can dive Baru which has much less coral damage (barely any fish though from the two dives I did today).

Max; have you ever dived Guapi? I heard it's amazing but it seems like a bit of effort to get there.

Will, in Guapi is nothing to dive. it is just the village from where the speed boats leaves to Gorgona. Max

Will, in Guapi is nothing to dive. it is just the village from where the speed boats leaves to Gorgona. Max

I must been thinking of Gorgona itself then! Do you have any pictures or dive reports from there?

There are lots on youtube Gorgona Under Water max

Max and Will, thank you very much for your reply and links to more info. We have finally decided to travel to Panama's Pacific coast to dive in May. I am still interested in Taganga (brr, no hot water?.....even if it is 35°C and humid, I still need the hot shower after a couple of dives) as well as Gorgona next time I am in Colombia.

1).
I found the diving to be a little lackluster in Taganga to be honest, the further away you get from Taganga the better it is. There is a lot of coral damage and the area seems to be getting over fished. Taganga itself is also a drug **** hole filled with Gringos getting messed up on LSD/Cocaine the whole time - so if you do dive there then I'd suggest staying in Santa Marta.

I was just in Taganga, did some diving, etc. I saw 1 person smoking a joint & smelled it one other time. I did my share of pot back in the college days so I know how to recognize it. I never saw gringos getting messed up on any other drugs, not sure what you're talking about. You must have been running with the wrong crowd! My wife & I both thought that it was a nice little sleepy village.

Nami, there is one hotel with hot shower so far in Taganga if you think to come. Max

Nami, there is one hotel with hot shower so far in Taganga if you think to come. Max

I think our hotel, Ocean, had hot water. Not real sure about it but didn't matter anyway the cold water was warm! Maxposeidon, I stopped in your shop one day after I had done some diving with another shop the day before. I thought that yours & Nautilus were 1st class for Taganga! I believe I asked if your boats had ladders & you said yes. The shop that I dove with did not.

Back
Top Bottom