Does SSI online divelog education dives need to be signed off by an instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alfred1

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

I'd like to know if SSI online divelog education dives (inserted by myself and including my instructor's SSI pro #) need to be signed off by him somehow (maybe online) and how I do check if this happened.

I am asking this due to some not-so-clear behaviour of my instructor, so I'd like to know what else is missing and what I can check without asking him since every time I do it pi**es him off since he'd like to squeeze some more money in extra dives from me, even if these aren't mandatory.

I currently have completed my theory lessons, passed the written test, did all pool lessons and 6 open water dives (2 more than needed to get my open water certification, which is still missing both online and in physical form).

Thank you :)

The most important thing for your instructor to do, is order your certification. From what I know, online divelog pages are not required to be signed off, but to be fair, I'm not completely sure: SSI only recently moved to a full online way of training, and I have not yet taught a course in a fully digital way (we still provide our students with a physical dive log). So no, I don't really think it's a requirement.

Online divelog pages play a role in certifying for AOW and Master SCUBA Diver. If you do not enter your dives, the system won't recognize you have met the minimum amount of dives required for certification. OW and specilaties need to be signed off and yout instructor has to verify in the SSI system (instructor login) you have passed.

AJ:
Online divelog pages play a role in certifying for AOW and Master SCUBA Diver. If you do not enter your dives, the system won't recognize you have met the minimum amount of dives required for certification.
This is sort of true, but not entirely. You can enter your total amount of dives, regardless of the online logging (at least, it used to be like that). Also, your instructor will enter the total number of dives when certifying you for a specialty or course. This does not (again, not in the past) require full online logging, just keeping up your online SSI profile.

It would be sort of weird to require it too: they'd basically be demanding people to spend 5 euro's/dollars per year for the online log service, and deny you certifications if you decide to log "the old fashioned way".

I agree, I believe written/ computer logs can (for now) also be applied. Hard copies tend to be more proof. Think about it,... you don't pay for your renewal & "poof" your logs have disappeared into the great beyond, never to be seen again, no proof. Unfortunately SSI put it's digital learning online prematurely. They basically dumped it into our laps without much detail in explanation, clear direction & lots of bugs in the system. In a way kind of like my repair tech role of disassembly of your regulator, clean it & then hand it back to you with the O-rings & parts, to re- assemble. Only telling you, "You'll figure it out". It has not been released very well, IMO, with many courses not even in it's library. Our shop strongly encourages our students to keep a written log & the online logbook as a backup.

For now, we're basically doing the same. Our opinion is that a hard copy, real log has more value, as it encourages some form of bonding among people while logging (instead of everybody just tapping away on their smart phones). I think logging on paper is faster too. Only if they're going to make some sort of community based of the online logs I can see the added value of them. Until then, I'll keep my paper log.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom