Pony--dive with valve open or closed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigTuna

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Curious: After you test your pony on the surface, do you leave the valve open throughout your dive, or do you close it unless and until it's needed? Why?

Please include some context: Is your pony back-mounted or slung? Does it have an SPG you can see all the time? If back-mounted, is it valve-up or valve-down?

Standard slung Deco/Stage Bottle protocol is to "charge" (i.e. pressurize) the Reg, and shut off the valve when not in use. During the dive, I'll try to monitor the SPG and keep it charged, as it tends to bleed down (especially while Scootering). . .

If you leave the valve open, the reg may leak, or freeflow, without you noticing, and deplete the tank: so when you need it most, it may be empty or low.

Keep the valve closed while diving.

Ryan

If you're going to carry a pony bottle my suggestion is to choose one large enough to be more than a teddy bear (ie: at least a 30cf). I suggest slinging it like a deco bottle (in front, left side, with two dog clips, short SPG hose, only one 2nd stage. I would charge it and then turn it off.

By putting the bottle in front you make it easy to visually verify what's going on with it. By leaving the valve off until you need it you prevent a freeflow from robbing you of a resource when you may need it most.

That being said, I'm not a big fan of "the buddy in the bottle" and would encourage other diving practices instead - a better dive partner or doubles may be good choices depending your concern. No flame intended.

I like the pony behind me attached to the tank, the valve on and without a guage that I can read underwater. The only problem I've had with this configuration is that I'm too stupid to always check that it is turned on before I enter the water. The pony does not get in my way when mounted behind me as a sling bottle does somewhat.

However, I think that if you want to maximize safety, wearing the pony slung in front is safer. Just be careful doing those entries with a sling bottle, it can come up and wack you if not rigged just right.

Everyone has their own ideas and methods......if 30 cuft is a minimum for you....then fine...but not for all.

I use a pony....on a ponease bottle mount on the cam bands...upside down...no guage...and turned on with reg tuned hard to breath.

Good luck pardner

dumpsterDiver:
...Just be careful doing those entries with a sling bottle, it can come up and wack you if not rigged just right.

I suggest pinning the tank with your left elbow when you jump in or better yet have someone hand it down to you if you're on a private or relaxed schedule boat.

I have jumped in with two 80cf tanks slung under my left arm and doubles on my backfrom a deck that was 10' (!!!) above the water line. I felt a little uneasy about it but there was no drama. I really can't recommend this method, but my point is that it can be done.

Likewise I charge and then turn the valve off. It is easy for me to reach because my pony is mounted upside down on my primary tank so I just reach down and behind to the left and the valve is there.

I sling my pony on my left side as I would a stage. I find this is more streamlined and I can always read the pressure in the tank. Like what others have said, I turn it on and then off on the surface so the reg stays pressurized.

For warm water single tank recreational use: 13 cu.ft. pony mounted valve up on a "Quick Draw" bracket with gas on, no gauge. I always check pressure with hand gauge before each dive. Regulator hose is routed behind neck and under other hoses to keep it "contained" and 2nd stage is located on right side.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom