Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long is air good for in a tank?

Registered

Has not set a "status"

How long can air stay in tank?

This may be kind of a dumb question but aside from the limitations of the tank's structure (cracking, etc.) how long can you leave air in a tank and still breathe it? I don't know what would change about the air. I forgot that my tank was still full from late last summer. Would it be best to empty it and have it refilled before diving or is the air okay? I have all the inspections up to date. Hydro and visual were done last July. Thanks, Phillip

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199
    Photos

Much like water left to sit, air does go stal...

Much like water left to sit, air does go stale. I'd let a lot out (500PSI) and get a fresh fill (of course I don't pay for air at my LDS). Let it out slowly to prevent condensation in the cylinder.
    My LDS recommends reducing pressure to 300 to 500PSI for long term storage to reduce the stress on the cylinder. I generally get my inspections done in the winter (Feb/Mar) when the LDS is not busy and I don't need them for next weekend (they're used most weekends all summer). I get just enough air fill to keep impurities out and then fill before I start diving again in the spring (about 3 weeks ago).
    CARPE DUCTUM
    (Seize the Tape)

ScubaBoard Enthusiast

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    I'm a Fish!

Assuming it was dry when it went in

3 years is not unreasonable, 5 years is possible assumin you keep the tank in hydro.

Personally I'd sniff any tank over a year or two old with an O2 sensor to confirm oxygen content is unchanged from when it went in, then use it if it passed both that one and and Mark I Nose odor test.
    Design and manufacture of custom dive gear. ftagge@acadiacom.net

Frequent Poster

Has not set a "status"

If the tank was clean and the air going in wa...

If the tank was clean and the air going in was clean, then the air should remain breathable for a long time. As an air fill is only a couple of bucks, if you have any concerns, rather than risk your life/health on the opinions of armchair pundits like myself, I'd dump the air and get a new fill.

Swims with Orca

Happy Happy Joy Joy

Photos

well actually...

Phillip once bubbled...
    I forgot that my tank was still full from late last summer.
    Phillip I think the question we all need to be asking is,"Are you stale?"

I mean... no diving for a couple of days and I start to get real cranky... a month without geting wet and I would be unbearable... but almost a whole year?!?!

Inconceivable!!!

ScubaBoard Enthusiast

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    I'm a Fish!

Let's put a finer point on this

runvus4 once bubbled...
    If the tank was clean and the air going in was clean, then the air should remain breathable for a long time. As an air fill is only a couple of bucks, if you have any concerns, rather than risk your life/health on the opinions of armchair pundits like myself, I'd dump the air and get a new fill.
    ANYTIME a tank contains questionable quality air it not only needs to be dumped, it needs to be CLEANED before it is used! Clean dry air in a tank is good indefinitely. If it's not good SOMETHING is wrong in the tank and a visual and full valve service is in order at the bare minimum.

FT
    Design and manufacture of custom dive gear. ftagge@acadiacom.net

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest

Has not set a "status"

Photos

Oxidation?

If it is a steel tank, I would think there would be a small possibility of oxidation which could reduce O-2 content. However, I'm not a chemist so I don't know if this would be significant at the levels that might normally be encountered in a tank that received a visual less than a year ago.

Dr. Bill
    Dr. Bill: I once had a 6-pack but now I have a full keg... well, maybe just a pony!
    Dr. Bill: Not THAT kind of doctor... but I'll take a look at it anyway!

Kelp forest marine life images, DVD's for sale, and archived "Dive Dry with Dr. Bill" newspaper columns
    Single or Buddyless? Check out SingleDivers.com or PM me!

Registered

Has not set a "status"

[QUOTE][i]Uncle Pug once bubbled... [/i][B]...

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

Phillip I think the question we all need to be asking is,"Are you stale?"

I mean... no diving for a couple of days and I start to get real cranky... a month without geting wet and I would be unbearable... but almost a whole year?!?!

Inconceivable!!!
    Yea, my life has been kinda busy. Time to get back in to it.

Thanks to all who replied. -Phillip

Swims with Orca

Happy Happy Joy Joy

Photos

Phillip

Phillip once bubbled...
    Time to get back in to it.
    I should have included a in my post... I was just kidding you.

Frequent Poster

Has not set a "status"

[QUOTE][i]FredT once bubbled... [/i][B]...

FredT once bubbled...

ANYTIME a tank contains questionable quality air it not only needs to be dumped, it needs to be CLEANED before it is used! Clean dry air in a tank is good indefinitely. If it's not good SOMETHING is wrong in the tank and a visual and full valve service is in order at the bare minimum.

FT
    That is true. I do think that the air is most probably good since he stated that the tank was in current VIP and hydro, and I would think that he had got his fill last year from a dive shop operation that pumps clean air.

My point was more to the fact that he is talking about his own life support equipment. It's good that he is asking for more information to make an informed choice, but in the end it's his life and his personal comfort levels. No matter how right, knowledgable or correct the polled opinions are, if he is not personally comfortable, then "call the dive" so to speak instead of doing a "trust me" dive. For a couple dollars, if I wasn't sure about the gear/air, I would easily err on the side of paranoia and caution.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast