Need info for an old LP 72 tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

luckydays

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I dove a friends tank this weekend and I really liked it. It was really old and my buddy did not know all of the details about it so I thought to ask here and see if you guys can give me details about it so I can try to find one or more to purchase.

It was a steel LP 72 tank with DOT 3AA 2250 on the neck (no other info was listed except for the hyrdo details). It measured about 6.5 inches in diameter and 25 inches to the neck. The first hydro was in the late 70's.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and more over if you have one are thinking about getting rid of it, please let me know.

Not much to go on but there was more info on the tank that you have missed. The manuf, serial number and original hydro are on there some where and would help. It's not too old, otherwise it would have an ICC on it instead of DOT. There are plenty of old steel 72's from the 50's and 60's still in service.
In any case it's a steel 72 rated at 2250 psi.

great little tanks.........

the serial number started with HJ and I think the original hydro was in 1979 but I am not positive. My buddy is sometimes hard to reach so I may not get any more info about the tank until we dive again.

I am hopeful to find out where I can get one or three. It was a great tank.

I think you have all the information you need already. What else do you feel you need to know.
72's were made by several manufacturers and all are relatively the same size and have the same buoyancy characteristics.

If you buy one, try to get one that's galvanized and does not have a lining inside. Many of the galvanized tanks were painted, so a painted tank does not necessarily mean it's not galvanized. In fact, you'll find it's easy to take the paint off the galvanized tank, leaving just the original galvanized finish, if you want to do that.

LP72s are really nice tanks, it's too bad they don't make them any more.

Thanks for the info. I was looking for manufacturer info but if all the tanks have the same buoyancy characteristics, I am happy and will now gladly look for a few.

What the going rate be for such a tank, in hydro and out of hydro.

Anyone have a few that they want to get rid of?

Price is hard to say, Sometimes you can get a great deal. I missed buying one for $15 not to long ago. I saw one in current hydro recently for $65. I would expect to pay around $40 - $50 on average.

Another convert from HP to LP!

Just curious, what is it you like about the LP Steel Tanks?

You are currently owning/diving a HP Steel 100 right?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom