Question Help me identify this tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnN

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I picked this up over the weekend. (pictures attached)

A US Divers steel tank. Here is what I think I know:
  • ICC-3AA --- Steel, but does ICC preceed DOT ?
  • Working pressure: 2250
  • Last Hydro 2/72

So my questions:
  • Born on 4/60 (4v60 +) Was this a "+" tank?
  • is A-10785 a serial number ?
  • What is the tank capacity ?

• 4v60+.jpg
    ICC-3AA.jpg
    4v60+.jpg

To get a "+" when I have this hydro'd, I'll need a REE number. Does anybody have an idea?

ICC = Interstate Commerce Commission. Yes, predates DOT. I think it was 1970 (could be off a little) when ICC marking turned into DOT markings.

Can't give size off of the stamping. But if you have the dimensions plenty of people can figure it out.

I have a steel 72 with very similar markings

if it doesn't look weirdly short, its pretty much guaranteed to be a steel 72. bigger issue with those is checking for a lining and if they have the annoying 1/2 inch neck.

Or a 7/8 neck

2250 psi tank won't have 7/8 unf neck, those are only for the 3500 psi cylinders

Or a 7/8 neck
"standard" 3/4" neck

6.85" diameter
24.5" (bottom of tank to top of neck)

Any idea about the "4v60 +" stamp ?

Edit:
I should add it has an Aqualung sticker on it

"standard" 3/4" neck

6.85" diameter
24.5" (bottom of tank to top of neck)

Any idea about the "4v60 +" stamp ?

Edit:
I should add it has an Aqualung sticker on it
April 1960 was the first test.
V was the mark of the test facility. It should actually be a diamond.
The plus signifies it passed for a 10% overfill rating, For the most part, all low pressures steels after world war 2 receive a plus mark on their original test.

It is a steel 72.
ICC stands for interstate commerce commission. It was replaced by the DOT in 1967.

Any other questions, just ask.

2250 psi tank won't have 7/8 unf neck, those are only for the 3500 psi cylinders
The first half of your statement is correct. The second half isn't. Yes they were used on 3500 cylinders, but they were also used on other cylinders.

If she passes Hydro and a VIP [could have lots of pitting and/or internal rust, so would recommend tumbling the interior] should be good to go. I have several from that vintage or earlier that I dive regularly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom