My buying used steel tank experience.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mitchell Teeters

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I found a steel 72 on craig's list. After trading numerous emails with the seller I come into town and check it out. I had done quite a bit of research on SB and online in the hopes of making an educated decision. Purchased the cylinder which has a J valve and was born in 72. I inspected to the best of MY ability and couldn't see anything bad. Something that looked like light surface rust, and I thought it could be tumbled out.

I took the tank to the LDS (80 mile drive round trip) and he informed me that generally speaking anything over 25yrs automatically fails hydro. He also shows me that the tank is lined and is an automatic no-go from that as well. I'm also told that there are some "bubbles" on the bottom and sides and this will get me a failure as well. We sent it off at any rate and if the hydro guy thinks it will pass he will test it, if not he won't saving me some $$. Naturally the seller is not returning my text messages.

I asked the LDS if I could use the tank as a vehicle air tank and he said he would stamp it so it could not be filled, and he might even have an old 1st stage he could give me to use it for filling tires. I'm bummed but this is my stupid tax.

I was told that I should not consider tanks that meet the following.
  • over 25yrs
  • round bottom
Fortunately the LDS is willing to give me a decent deal on a used steel tank. My dive buddy uses a steel 130 so I may pony up and go that route. A steel 120 at the minimum.

All steel tanks have a round bottom. Total BS from start to finish. There are plenty of steel tanks in hyro and still in service since the 1950's. That doesn't mean your tank will pass, just that some of the rules he applied do not necessarily apply. Now the liner could make it a loosing deal depending upon condition and removal process if it even can be removed reasonably.

And what's up with the round bottom?? All steel tanks (I've seen) have a round bottom, they're made out of one single steel plate.

just out of curiosity what dive shop did you go to?? was it in TN???

All steel tanks have a round bottom. Total BS from start to finish. There are plenty of steel tanks in hyro and still in service since the 1950's. That doesn't mean your tank will pass, just that some of the rules he applied do not necessarily apply. Now the liner could make it a loosing deal depending upon condition and removal process if it even can be removed reasonably.

I'll talk to them about the round bottoms, I'm a novice with the tanks so I don't know. I thought I had researched enough. I guess not. I asked about removing the liner and they said that could not be done. Generally speaking I have not been BS'd by this guy. He has been very up front with me. One of the other "guys" in the shop said that about the round bottoms. Might have been a snipe hunt they were about to send me on.

Peter, just a quick note, I'm sort of screwed here locally, this guy is about the only game in town for fills. Once I'm working at the dive facility this summer I can deal with it, but right now, IF this guy won't fill it, I'm hosed.

Snifffffffffff do I smell BS :confused: I have tanks from the late 60's they never fail, so the 25 year is BS.

Ya I wanted to say something based on what I read, but I didn't want to antagonize the guy.

I didn't even know there was a dive shop in Crossville. Anyway, wait until it passes or doesn't pass hydro. A steel 72 is a good cylinder, there are bunches of them in service both with and without the liners. I used a hydro facility in Houston that had no issues sandblasting out the inside of the cylinder. Don't give up on your cylinder until it passes or fails, and if it passes, well, your facility should have no issues filling it for you, especially if they sent it off to the hydro station.

I hope you got a good deal. I gave about 50 of those things away a few years back......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom