My first time in doubles - a class report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ae3753

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Two saturdays ago, I took a mini doubles course being offered by 5thd-X. Andrew Georgitsis was the instructor and Chris Cali assisted in water. Joe Talavera helped topside.

It's been over a week, and I've had time to step back and digest the course. Immediately after the class, I was very impressed. And a week later, I am still very impressed. While we were very sore the next day, both my dive buddy and I had a great time.

The "mini" courses offered by 5thd-X consists of 2-3 hours of lecture and 2 dives. For me and my buddy, this course was the perfect way to get started with doubles. Honestly, cannot think of a better way. Andrew was thorough and incredibly informative with all aspects of diving doubles (and diving in general).

Before we started, Andrew set our expectations. The mini was a workshop and we would be exposed to the proper way of doing things, but in no way should we expect to have mastery after a couple of dives.

In the lecture, we covered the following topics:

1. What were the components
2. How each component worked
3. Comparisons of equipment
a. Alumimum vs steel tanks
b. Weighting considerations for dry vs wet
c. Wing size
d. Routing
e. Backplate vs softpack
f. Manifold types
4. Possible issues for each component
5. Management of gas and issues
6. Gear set-up
7. Getting into the gear
8. Proper trim
9. Skills

There were four students in the class, and three of us have never dove doubles before. Andrew took a lot of time explaining all aspects of doubles to us, and no question was too stupid.

This is probably the one thing that really struck me. Andrew, Joe and Chris were truly forthright and giving with the information. Sure, I paid for the course, but their attitude was one of openness and willing to help. The patience, enthusiam and encouragement was greatly appreciated. Especially, since we were very much newbies.

There are a lot of ways to teach the course, but these guys made it a lot of fun.

After the lecture, we received a pre-dive briefing, then donned the gear and headed into the water. The first 20 minutes were spent on buoyancy and trim, and then we practiced some basic drills. Watching Andrew in the water is simply amazing. What I can't figure out is how he was able to stay in absolutely one place, given the surge.

The surface interval included dry runs of the modified s-drill and valve drills. This was very helpful to me - each step of the skill was broken down, explained, and then practiced.

For the last dive, we practiced buoyancy and trim, worked on the drills and then did a final bouyancy check.

By the second dive, my buddy and I were getting a little tired. Surface swimming doubles is brutal and un-turtling yourself takes some muscle. So when Andrew wasn't look, we tried to slack and break trim. But unfortunately (or fortunately), Chris was there to gently remind us to go horizontal. It's funny, cause we do the same thing when we help out with OW classes.

After each dive, we individually got feedback from Andrew on what we did right and what areas we needed to work on. He also provided us tips and guidance to how we can improve - add'l things to try or focus on.

I prefer the direct 1-on-1 feedback style. We are all adults, and we know what we need help. So tell me what I need to work on. Andrew does just that.

A week and a half later, I still have diving doubles on my mind. Not that I'd want to run out and buy a set, but at the skills taught and how much fun I had in class.

For me, the mini doubles class is innovative. There are "discover" classes in recreational diving, but there is no equivalent for technical diving. Not only that, but many recreational discover classes feel truncated and set-up to make money. The mini doubles was exhaustive in information and not at all limiting. And at the current price point, it's an amazing bargain. Did I tell you that they supplied the doubles, regs, wing, and backplate?

In summary:

Pros
1. Great way to learn about doubles
2. Tons of information
3. Enthusiastic instruction made the class a blast

Cons
1. You'll be sore
2. They steal ginger cookies
3. You may have a nagging urge to dive doubles

-Don

Dam sounds like a good time. I just made the swap over myself. I would have to say the training had to have been really usefull , probably better than learning from friend and trial and error

It was a great time!

The class was like diving with friends. Although with one friend who was an encyclopedia of knowledge and could immediately fix an issue.

Whether it was to add a v-weight to the lower bolt to adjust trim or correcting body position to got at those pesky valves, the feedback was clear and impactful.

Having a good mentor could achieve similar results I'm sure. But for my buddy and I, this course was best route. I have no doubt that we sorted out in 2 dives what would have been a lot more if we tried it alone. I can't gauge how many dives that it would have been, it it feels like we saved 10-20 dives of trial and error by taking the course.

Good luck on your transition over too.

-Don

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom