Grade E and Modified Grade E Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

11B3Y

Contributor
Reaction score
Which is "hyper filtered?"

Or are both hyper filtered, with the modified grade e air being held to a higher standard?

If I use "grade E" air on my oxy clean tanks, are they still clean?

Or do I have to use "modified grade E"

If grade E is good enough to keep an oxy cleaned tank "oxy clean", then why the modified grade E?

A lot of questions I know --- have been through the PADI EAN course and this was not even mentioned. Frustrated!

Thanks!

Thomas

No, if you use Grade E air in your o2 clean cylinders and valve, technically, you just ruined the rating on your cylinder and valve.

Hyperfiltered Grade E air or modified Grade E is what you want to put into your O2 clean cylinders...

You should just be able to go into a shop and ask for hyper clean air. You should see another stack of filters just before the air goes to the fill panel. (this is another filter, there should also be a filter on the compressor too)...

LUBOLD8431 once bubbled...
You should see another stack of filters just before the air goes to the fill panel. (this is another filter, there should also be a filter on the compressor too)...

I wouldn't say that...

If the dive retailer really cared about gas purity the entire system should be delievering the best gas possible..

All my filtration is BEFORE my Banks.. To me"modified" grade e still isn't good enough..

dewpoint isn't specified, co2 limits are too high, and depending on what "standard" you look at oil limits are still too high..

why do anything else?

I had to buy the hyperfilter to have O2-compatable gas anyway, since I PP blend my own Nitrox.

Having bought it, why not run my air fills through it too? What possible purpose is there to breathing unnecessary hydrocarbons?

I'd like "zero", but I can't get zero (even free air has SOME hydrocarbon content.) I can get darn close to zero though.....

padiscubapro once bubbled...

I wouldn't say that...

If the dive retailer really cared about gas purity the entire system should be delievering the best gas possible..

All my filtration is BEFORE my Banks.. To me"modified" grade e still isn't good enough..

dewpoint isn't specified, co2 limits are too high, and depending on what "standard" you look at oil limits are still too high..

Well, we do care about air purity, and air going into our banks is clean. The air going into O2 clean cylinders just removes more of the crap to minute quantities which makes things extremely ANAL...

Thats what O2 service is. Extremely ANAL.

Also, the best gas possible for all of our customers would cost about twice as much as we charge now, for all the filters we would be changing. The fact of the matter is, there is nothing wrong with Grade E air. O2 service just requires a more thorough filtration that is overkill...

You can keep buying filters... The average diver breathes more CO2 ppm in the air outside than in their cylinders.

LUBOLD8431 once bubbled...

You can keep buying filters... The average diver breathes more CO2 ppm in the air outside than in their cylinders.

in most cases Thats not true.. the commmon checmicals used for filtration for all practical purposes don't remove co2. if your intake to your compressor is indoors the intake can be as high as 2500 ppm. probably moe like 400-800ppm, outdoor supplies will probably be in the range of 200-400ppm, unless you are using an oilfree compressor the compressor will ADD some co2, it should be small though on a properly operating compressor.. if you want to getrid of the co2 you have to use a chemical like rb divers use..

I don't have to change filter media that often.. I put out a larger initial investment and bought a RIX oilfree compressor (with all 4 stages liquid cooled).. in the long run its cheaper plus supplies better gas..

at shallow depths co2 isn't an issue but as depth and po2 increases it has to be considered.

The only filtration I put after my banks is micron filters to make sure no particulate matter is introduced into the gas stream.

also for the filtration to work best the filter bed must be kept under pressure and I have seen way to may systems without back pressure regulators to keep the media under full pressure..

if filtration is done after the banks it is possible for moisture to get trapped in the filter media reducing its effectiveness not to mention potential channeling on some systems..

there are some real advantages of back pressure regs, but in the secondary filtration case probably unrealistic..

a good coalessor (sp) to remove moisture and a back pressur reg after the filtration will generally extend the life of the filter media.

The other reason I believe all gas should be as clean as possible, unless you have 2 seperate gas paths and fill whips, you are adding contaminates to your equipment which is cumulative.

just my 2 cents

Well, we do care about air purity, and air going into our banks is clean. The air going into O2 clean cylinders just removes more of the crap to minute quantities which makes things extremely ANAL...

Thats what O2 service is. Extremely ANAL.

Also, the best gas possible for all of our customers would cost about twice as much as we charge now, for all the filters we would be changing. The fact of the matter is, there is nothing wrong with Grade E air. O2 service just requires a more thorough filtration that is overkill...

I am in a quandry about this as well. I live in an area where the closest shop is 45+ minutes away. But I also live right by the port, but with not nitrox suppliers (well, none that I would use... long story).

I have my air supplier that has Grade E air. I think is is an oilless compressor (cost ~$20k, sound right?). Any all the locals are doing PP fills with aviators oxygen and topping off. The best shop in the area, the one far away, told me they have theirs tested to O2 service standard. But at the same time, they told me that reasonably that may be overkill, but for liability and their personal safety thats the way they do it.

I am also told from propellant guys on the space center that things for liguid versus gassified O2 are different. Given that, is the O2 service standard for gassified or liquid O2?

I am leaning toward that the reality of this stuff is more like E-grade is just fine, but I am not the expert. If things were really that touchy, we would have a whole lot of PP dive shops going up in smoke as they could never guarantee what comes through the door in a tank at any given time. A tank could have buildup of the "bad stuff" as mentioned over time for any number of reasons right?

I want to do the right thing, but I also do not want to make myself ANAL and CRAZY! I wish a had a good shop close!!!!!!

thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom