Coastal Shore Diving In Texas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Late summer conditions from Corpus Christi down to South Padre can get decent enough (10-20 foot vis) to dive various sets of jetties.

The windows of inshore clear(???) water can be short lived.

TwoBit

Can I be curious? What would you expect from diving (conditions)?

I've seen 25 to 30 feet vis at the Packery Channel jetty but that is for a couple months in late summer only. The inshore rigs are accessible with a small boat and have somewhat better vis in that same period. Other times of the year "clear" water is a pretty rare occurrence.

I would like to know if there is shore diving along the coast in Texas and if so where and how good is it?

Do you mean along the coast OR do you mean offshore???.It really depends on what part of Texas you are referring to, also---Texas is a long state......Here in SW Louisiana(same as SE Texas coast), we go 30+ miles offshore===water depth 29 miles out is 40+ feet, 45 miles out it's about 65+ feet deep.....Yep, we run the hell out of our engines.....

I mean shore diving, where one can walk from the shore out into the water. Up here in the Pacific NW we have a lot of shore diving. Some places you can go any time, others depend on the tide, others can be a bit tricky trying to walk to with gear on and of course there is some sites are not worth the bother as they have nothing more than baby poop bottoms as we put it here.
We were just recently in the Florida Keys and there is really no shore diving worth doing to see anything.
In Texas I was wondering about from Corpus Christi to Galveston.

I don't believe they ever see any useful water clarity in Galveston. As I said, Corpus has its good periods but limited locations for worthwhile diving. Unless there is some structure, it's mostly white sand. South Padre has much better vis and even whiter sand (not much to see). Jetties attract a good bit of life but you usually have to work around a lot of fishermen, especially on W/E. Tides are very mild and a consideration only as they will effect visibility. After the PNW, I don't believe you will like TX shore diving.:shocked2:

If you didn't think there was any worthwhile shore diving in the keys then there definitely isn't any shore diving in Texas for you. Get on a boat and go out to the rigs or the flower gardens.

~Jess

Thanks to all of you for your time to reply. My husband has told me what he has heard about diving around the rigs and how much he would like to do that. He thinks it would be great to go spear fishing down there as well.

Back
Top Bottom