Free DiveMaster course????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Craley

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone

I have been planning on doing my DiveMaster for awhile now and have decided on jumping straight into my Instructors afterward. Of course this now means that I will be shelling out a lot of money for courses, equipment, etc.
I have seen a DiveMaster course on Phi Phi that is offered for free, takes 6-7 weeks, all materials included and then the standard 3 month contract afterward. I will have to buy my equipment (probably through them) but as I am going to buy it anyway that is not an issue.
What am I not seeing?? It does sound too good to be true and I am looking for the catches. What are main problems with doing it this way?
Please help as I don't want to commit to something that I will end up regretting!
Really keen to Go Pro and its getting pretty confusing with all the options.
Any help with anything related would be great.
Thanks!!!

Hi everyone

I have been planning on doing my DiveMaster for awhile now and have decided on jumping straight into my Instructors afterward. Of course this now means that I will be shelling out a lot of money for courses, equipment, etc.
I have seen a DiveMaster course on Phi Phi that is offered for free, takes 6-7 weeks, all materials included and then the standard 3 month contract afterward. I will have to buy my equipment (probably through them) but as I am going to buy it anyway that is not an issue.
What am I not seeing?? It does sound too good to be true and I am looking for the catches. What are main problems with doing it this way?
Please help as I don't want to commit to something that I will end up regretting!
Really keen to Go Pro and its getting pretty confusing with all the options.
Any help with anything related would be great.
Thanks!!!

A Divemaster course lasts about 6 to 7 weeks, providing you take the internship option.
Costs vary inbetween 25.000Baht and 30.000Baht plus another 9.000Baht to 10.000Baht for PADI materials.
Totalling 40.000,-Baht. If you receive no pay for your 3 month contract, is that really worthwhile?

Be aware with free courses, many times you end up doing things that are completely unrelated to becoming a Divemaster, like painting an office, just to play devils advocate. If you don't paint the office however, you won't be signed off as a DM.
Can be very catchy. As a paying customer you have much more ground to stand, just imho.

Thanks for the advice...guessin it means There Are No Such Things As A Free Lunch???
I know...I know...but it would be nice wouldn't it!
Any specific advice on major problems?
If anyone has done one of these "free lunch" DM courses could they give me some feedback as I would be interested in hearing from a first hand source.
Any other advice on where to do it, not necessarily in Thailand is also welcome.
Thanks everyone for bothering to post!

Things to ask before you make any decisions are:
-When will your DM application be signed off for you? (before or after the 3 months?)
-Who will do your instruction and will be your certifying instructor? (talk to this person alone about your doubts and also ask him for a course schedule/lay-out)
-How long approx. (in days) will your actual DM training be? (the actual amount of days you will be having with your Instructor for confined and open water training sessions, skill training and theory and exams)
-What are the extra "hidden" costs going to be? (deposit/accomodation/food/DM application fee/rental gear/insurance etc)
-What do you actually have to do during those 3 months? (duties/work times/days off etc)
-Will there be any compensation for you during those 3 months? (food/accomodation/basic salary etc)
-What will the procedure be if you get ill during the course or during the 3 month period? (referral/penalty fee etc)
-Are absence days for visa-runs being added to the 3 months or not?
-Will there be a written agreement between you and the diveshop before commencing the course?

Be careful-be careful and be careful!

:D

It can be a great deal if -- you have enough savings to pay your living and travel expenses for 3 months, you have no real bills or obligations, and you really like Thailand.

If I were 18 again I'd seriously consider it.

It's not technically free, since you're doing the indentured servant thing. But it might be economical.

I was considering doing mine the 'free' way, but after talking to other people who run courses I have decided to pay upfront and then work to earn back the cash.

I would recommend you check out Padi IDC Thailand Scuba Diving Instructor Courses and Internships, as well as other companies, compare them, work out where you will be for what season and then decide where you want to go pro. Remember, by definition, once you 'Go Pro' you will be earning money. So which is the better option, to not pay and then not get paid. Or to pay and then get paid? In the end I reckon you are in better stead to pay (unless you are totally broke).

-Dave

Hi Craig,
don't book! You can just show up here in Tao or there in Phi Phi and LOOK. What is it with car buying? Sold as seen? Hmmm. But sold unseen is possibly worse!

Sorry again for the late PM reply!

Good luck.

All of this talk is like "Deja-Vu" (almost) over in PPD. The talk of "FREE" and "CHEAP" really gets me spun up. Would you go to a "FREE" skydiving school? Would you go to a "CHEAP" BASE jumping course? BOB MURPHY is right on target. SCUBA diving is a business and not a charity. If you do not provide a quality service at a competitive price you do not last long. Go there see what is offered then decide.

Back
Top Bottom