Family Dive Vacation in Thailand?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snid

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Looking to the experts for some help . . .

My family (husband and three kids, ages 5, 7 and 9) are heading to Thailand in late March and early April. Husband and I would love to get some good diving in, but trips to sites far away from where we are staying are difficult to handle with the kids. We can make arrangements for babysitting for part of a day, but shorter trips to close-by dive sites are easier. So we are looking for the following options:

1) Recommendations on places to stay that are close to great dive sites, and preferably close to good snorkeling sites. We prefer smaller, more relaxed resorts, but can go bigger and more upscale if needed.

2) Any recommendations for outfits that do 2-3 night trips on liveaboards that are small (5-6 people) or cater to families. The kids would be fine on the boat, I think, and would be happy swimming, snorkeling, playing games, reading or staring at electronic screens. But I'm not sure how a bunch of other divers on a bigger boat would take to the idea of several small folks running around.

Of course, we would love any other suggestions, as well. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

For a small liveaboard boat you could look here, trips to the South Andaman divesites. Another good liveaboard option, with special care for kids, families and snorkelers, would be this boat, with trips to Similans, Koh Bon, Koh Tachai and Richelieu Rock.

For land based diving with divesites close by Phi Phi would probably be your best choice, most trips from there will be 1/2 day, some of the better sites will be further away though.

The first liveaboard you found looks perfect! I will follow up on all your suggestions. Thanks for the help.

Sai Mai really is a good option since she's so small. And Oktavia even can provide a child-minder while you dive. Alternatively, you could charter a small catamaran with a diving air compressor on board. That way you do exactly what you want (diving, snorkeling, kayaking, hiking, whatever), go where you want, dive when you want, etc. It's ideal for what you've described, and it's a lot of fun for kids since the boat rides so low to the water.

I personally think Koh Lanta is a wonderful, family-friendly island with easy access to excellent snorkeling at Koh Haa. Check it out for a land-based alternative.

Thanks for the suggestion! Even if we do the liveaboard, we likely will be looking for some beach time too, and the number do islands is overwhelming. So we will check out Koh Lanta.

Sai Mai really is a good option since she's so small. And Oktavia even can provide a child-minder while you dive. Alternatively, you could charter a small catamaran with a diving air compressor on board. That way you do exactly what you want (diving, snorkeling, kayaking, hiking, whatever), go where you want, dive when you want, etc. It's ideal for what you've described, and it's a lot of fun for kids since the boat rides so low to the water.

I personally think Koh Lanta is a wonderful, family-friendly island with easy access to excellent snorkeling at Koh Haa. Check it out for a land-based alternative.
No divesites close by though,m as requested by the OP.

No divesites close by though,m as requested by the OP.
It is possible to go out for "part of a day" from Lanta as the OP requested. There are trips that return to Lanta at about 2:30 p.m.
Lanta is just very nice for families with options for family-room accommodations and kid-style activities, and a couple of hotels with actual kids clubs. Klong Dao Beach is perfect for young children. Because there is a substantial tourist population of foreigners with young kids on Lanta (even including schools that have short-term enrolment for tourist children), the island's restaurants, hotels, and tours cater for families significantly more than those on other islands, including Phi Phi.

Oktavia is a great boat and does the short liveaboard option. Is not really small, but they say in all their promo info they cater to families. For the Similan portion (eg first half of trip) there are beach landing possibilities and as mentioned above child minding can be organized. Lovely folks, good diving. Look them up and ask....

It is possible to go out for "part of a day" from Lanta as the OP requested. There are trips that return to Lanta at about 2:30 p.m.

I can concur with that. I visit Koh Lanta 2-3 times per year. I usually dive with Dive and Relax which happens to depart from the beach directly in front of my hotel at 0900. Travel time to Koh Haa is about 30 minutes, Koh Bida(Phi Phi) about the same or maybe a few minutes more. Checking my logbook, for Koh Haa I am usually in the water 0945, 1000 the latest.

Since Dive and Relax operates two speed boats, they are usually first ones on the divesite. Takes a bit longer for the cattle boats to get there. Usually upon finishing my first dive, the larger boats are just arriving and dropping their divers in.

Then a nice leisurely surface interval with lunch served and time to do some snorkeling, swimming, nap, or just relax. Snorkeling Koh Haa #3 lagoon, and Koh Haa Yai(#5) beach is very nice.

Second dive usually commences around 1200. Normally, arrival back in Koh Lanta is around 1330-1400, but the latest was around 1430 because weather had come up and it was a slower ride for the return.

Phra Ae(long beach) is a pretty nice area, and Koh Lanta is fairly peaceful as well.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom