Stylus Tough 8000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver 86

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Given new Tough 8000. Need Housing, but I see here that the Olympus housing has already been discontinued. Are there other options, or should I try to track down a PT-045?

I checked Ebay and there are around 5 for sale there. They seem to be running about $240.

I have the Ikelite housing for the T8000. I don't like it as well as an Olympus housing I have for another model camera, due to the button sizing and lack of a light guard around the viewing screen. These are personal preferences and as a newbee, I am still figuring mine out.

I have had absolutely no problems with the unit.

I just got a Tough and I tracked down the Olympus Housing and its a dream to work with.. if you can find one go for it they've really made all the button use very easy and 'finger' friendly (No pushing hard and small buttons especially if you have gloves on) its a fun camera andgreat housing

I'm seriously considering buying the tough 8000 to take on my upcoming trip to Australia. However am at bit hesitant at slow the processor seems to be in it. I used to using Canon cameras and they appear to be considerably faster. However the Canon underwater canon is a ridiculous football shape that makes it awkward out of water use.

I also looked into the housing and found that Scuba.com has some in stock. Why would Olympus discontinue this?

ordered the Oly housing on ebay. Looking at the UFL 1 strobe. Is this the right way to go?

I'm seriously considering buying the tough 8000 to take on my upcoming trip to Australia. However am at bit hesitant at slow the processor seems to be in it. I used to using Canon cameras and they appear to be considerably faster. However the Canon underwater canon is a ridiculous football shape that makes it awkward out of water use.

I also looked into the housing and found that Scuba.com has some in stock. Why would Olympus discontinue this?

Each housing is for a specific camera and Oly predicts how many how many they think they will sell for that model. These are generally pretty limited production runs (especially for the accessory housings like wide angle ports). Figure the 8000 will be marketed for a year or two and at best 1 in 20 buyers will want a housing.

I have the 8000 and use the UF-1 with a SEA&SEA tray. It works OK for what I want it to do which is take some memorable photos of my dive trips. I am thinking about adding a focus light for use in low light setings, but haven't decided which one to buy yet. The 8000 also works well in other outdoor settings as well. I just took it skiing this week, and it works well for a point and shoot pocket camera.

The 8000 also works well in other outdoor settings as well. I just took it skiing this week, and it works well for a point and shoot pocket camera.

I really like the camera. I've used it for snorkeling and on one shallow reef dive without a housing. I've also used the sports mode to stop action at my daughter's barrel racing. Great point and shoot- rugged, and you don't have to worry about rain. Taking it down the Amazon river later this summer.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom