Olympus Stylus Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ItsBruce

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a Stylus 410 that I sometimes use in a UW housing. The camera suddenly stopped working altogether. I'm 99.9% certain it is not a water issue since I haven't used it underwater in more than a year. One day it was fine and I downloaded pics to my computer. The next time I went to use it, nothing. The lens did not extend, lights didn't come on. Nothing. I thought it might be the battery. I put the battery in the charger. That did not seem to help. I tried charging it longer. (The red light on the charger was flashing ... I don't remember if it always flashed or was solid.) Nothing.

I know that I can replace the camera with a newer, better model. But, I hate to have to replace the housing if I get a new camera. (Do any other cameras fit the housing?)

Any ideas would be appreciated, including ideas on how to even troubleshoot the issue.

Thanks

It sounds like a power failure, which I would bet is a dead battery/or charger. Try a spare battery or even look for a different charger. That would be the cheapest fix/solution if it works, I really understand the housing hassle if you update the camera.

camaras and housings are made for specific models. That 410 is pretty old and the housing might not look like it, but is probably due for an oring issue.

Try a new battery, but I wouldn't put much money in it. For instance, I sell a refurb FE-360 and a new housing for only $179.95...

Jack

camaras and housings are made for specific models. That 410 is pretty old and the housing might not look like it, but is probably due for an oring issue.

Try a new battery, but I wouldn't put much money in it. For instance, I sell a refurb FE-360 and a new housing for only $179.95...

Jack

My only comment would be along the line of Jacks's. I have a 5000z, and the LCD broke. I could replace it with something a little better like what Jack has. In a crazy twist, I can across a guy that had a 5000z with a busted focus motor. He sold it to me for $25, and I simply swapped out the LCD, and I am back in business.

My Oly 710 died the same way. Oly services sucks in my two experiences.

Might as well go up-grade . . . Jack's offer is probably what any repairs would cost.

I had the same problem with my 410, turned out to be the charger. The red light should be constant while charging then go green. Best Buy has a universal Olympus charger for about $40. If it weren't for the housing I would have just bought a new camera. The next one is going to have standard alkaline batteries!

SEAN

Back
Top Bottom