Focus light for PT-E05 housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr_Pyro

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking into a focus light for the PT-E05 housing.

I had a look at the fisheye Fix LED48DX but it's to big and heavy, might bright thoo.

Would a Fantasea Nano mini Focus light be powerfull enough?
And will this setup work with the hotshoe on top of the PT-E05 housing?

unterwasserkamera.at - FANTASEA Nano Mini Focuslight SET

Thanks in advance
/Mr_Pyro

Thanks!

But does the Oly housing use a standard hotshoe-mount?

Yes, it does.

I have Focus Light Kits that fit the Oly's and others (not Sealife, sorry) with a few flavors of lights. For DSLR use the Big blue 1x5 has a broader brighter beam.

See:

I have the Fisheye FIX LED500DX Focus Light on Jack's hot shoe mount on my PT-05. It works great, has an intensity dial, and a nice wide smooth beam. It's a bit expensive at about $300.00 but worth every penny as far as I'm concerned. The problem with the small lights is that you constantly have to reposition to focus properly in low light conditions. If you get a powerful enough light it can also act as your primary dive light. If you have the budget I would definitely get something similar to the Fisheye or Big Blue. I have a Fantasea 44 LED that works fine but is not nearly as powerful. The more powerful lights also let you do wide angle at night, something that the small lights just won't do. Once you are in the water you will not notice the size or bulk.

Brian

I've done some indoor tests with the Fisheye FIX LED48DX to see if cuts the power when the strobe dumps, but it's hard to to tell.

I just can't find any info about the Fisheye lights ability to cut power during strobe dump. I'd like to have this feature to reduce hotspots and backscatter from the focuslight.
What do the more experienced photographers think about this, is it realy an issue?

A friend of mine is giving me a good deal on the FIX LED48DX, so I'm tempted to go with it, as it has, a quite wide angle of light.
But if it's going to produce backscatter it's not much point, and I'd better go with something more travelfriendly.

/Mr_Pyro

First it's the LED480DX.

And no they don't shut off during exposure. The Big Blue 3x5 does and it's a bout the same price, only has two power settings.

It's not a huge deal as long as you shoot faster than 1/80 or 1/100th of a sec.

Jack

I've done some indoor tests with the Fisheye FIX LED48DX to see if cuts the power when the strobe dumps, but it's hard to to tell.

I just can't find any info about the Fisheye lights ability to cut power during strobe dump. I'd like to have this feature to reduce hotspots and backscatter from the focuslight.
What do the more experienced photographers think about this, is it realy an issue?

A friend of mine is giving me a good deal on the FIX LED48DX, so I'm tempted to go with it, as it has, a quite wide angle of light.
But if it's going to produce backscatter it's not much point, and I'd better go with something more travelfriendly.

/Mr_Pyro

I've never had a problem with hot spots when the light does not shut off. If you are getting backscatter from the light the conditions are really bad and you will get much more backscatter when your strobe fires. I've been diving mine in CA waters almost weekly for the last year and have not had any backscatter problems caused by the focus light.

Brian

Thanks guys!
Exacactly the info I was looking for.

@Jack
Odd mine is labeled FIX LED48DX, as well as Fisheye... Maybe an old model.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom