35mm macro in Inon 50mm port?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mantha

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

Who has experience with the Olympus 35mm macro in the INON 50mm port?

My guess is that the minimum focus distance could cause some problems in this slightly larger port, but I would like to see if this is really that bad.

Another question: Any tips on positioning the flash and focus light?

Mantha

Hi Mantha,

I have attached images of the Athena 35 mm macro and 50 mm macro ports for the Olympus mount so that you can see the size difference. You can see that the 50 port is 20 mm longer than the 35 mm port. I have used both of these ports extensively and I have also used the Inon 50 mm macro port.

These are the things I have concluded. Any 50 macro port works well with the 35 macro it you are shooting subjects 100 mm (4 inches) or so wide. The problem comes when you move in close to 1:3, 1:2 1:1. Keep in mind that the 35 macro already has a wider angle of view than the 50 macro so you already need to be closer to photograph the same size subject. At life size (1:1) the sharpest point of focus will be inside the port. At 1:2 you will be so close to the subject that most subjects will move away or may be harmed. If you try to add a close-up lens to the outside of the port the subject will be to close. The 35 macro is a great fish lens if you backup, but 1:1 just won't work with the Inon port and for close macro you will be much better off with the 50 even at its 1:2 greatest range. With the Athena 35 macro port you can go all the way to 1:1 which still puts you very close to your subject.

For those wanting to get into macro on a budget the 35 macro and Athena port sell for less than the Athens 50 macro port alone.

Athena OPF TMP-50 Flat Port for Olympus E 50mm w/ 67mm Thread [ath.opf.tmp50] - $499.00 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

Athena MP-35 Port for Olympus 35mm Macro in PT-E03, PT-E02 [ath.opf.mp.35.pte] - $289.00 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

Phil Rudin

Attachments

• -5020121.jpg
    -5020121.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 64
Phil,

Thanks for your very extensive answer.
Besides this being very helpful to me, it also shows how useful forums like this one are.

Mantha

Back
Top Bottom