newbie with little digi...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok, so I picked up a casio 3.2 megapixel Exilim EX-Z30 a while ago. I also picked up the casio underwater housing specific for this camera. I need basic aid in what to do and what not to do.
An instructor comes from another town (im in college in Colorado) and teaches an SSI open water class once a semester. I joined his last class in the water and took tons of photos of them doing their pool training. I found that i did not get very good perfusion of focus with a flash diffuser and had a difficult time getting very sharp images (there were few exceptions with damn fine results, might i add). the camera doesnt take crappy photos by any means, but underwater i had a tough time. Any tips would be great.

Hi,

I'm not familiar with your camera model, but for shooting UW, you will probably want to check for some manual settings.

I mostly use the setting of white balance manually; what you have to do is point the camera towards something white and set the balance against it; since white/gray appears with a blue or green tint underwater, when doing this the camera will adjust all color levels so that whatever you pointed at will no longer appear bluish but white.

It will take a few sessions to getting used to this, but the results can be very good :).
(If you overadjust this (pointing it to something too blue) the pictures will take a red tint :( ).

Here are some samples:
42734416_ba9a8c3329_m.jpg

51920196_6fd1cea478_m.jpg

73807547_be9f246439_m.jpg

76244272_d262ba8072_m.jpg

73190782_2c1b36cbe3_m.jpg

Here's an over-adjusted one (red tint):
88899428_fb151f2121_m.jpg

Back
Top Bottom