Lobster diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SlickNick

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
How does it work?
What equipment do you need?
Do you need special gloves?
Is it expensive?
Is it difficult?

What type of lobster, and where?

How does it work?
What equipment do you need?
Do you need special gloves?
Is it expensive?
Is it difficult?

Look for lobster in hole - reach in and grab, place in bag.
none
no - gloves to protect you from the cold water. Even in the summer - the bottom temps are cold.
no more expensive than diving in general
VERY difficult to some, easy for others. Its all about having the guts to reach in and grab it......Everyone half reaches at first - then they realize that by half reaching, you are MORE likely to get pinched.

Below is a link to an article about Lobster hunting in our area written by Gene Peterson, owner of Atlantic Divers. He is one of the most respected, accomplished NE wreck divers around.

http://www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/pdf/reefs/lobstering.pdf

---------- Post added November 19th, 2012 at 07:28 PM ----------

Video from Lobster on Cape May reef last summer

Lobster Grab on Cape May Reef 8/6/2011 on Vimeo

And another from the Jacob Jones wreck. NOTE - VERY DARK since it was after a hurricane and conditions were bad - but lobster were still good. We went into this dive expecting zero vis and zero ambient light......vis was not bad, ambient light was exactly what we expected - zero.

Lobster - its whats for dinner on the Jacob Jones - Cape May NJ on Vimeo

Between youtube and Vimeo - we have a lot of NJ/DEL/MD area dive videos.

This was my 1st year lobster diving in a while and I forgot how fun it is! I made my own tickle stick, bought a 1 hand bug bag (opens and closes with the squeeze of 1 hand), bought my license online and stuck my new numbers to my tanks and that was it. The best fun I had all year was fighting a 4 or so pound lobster for about 15min only to get it out of its hole and fine a load of eggs under her:confused: damn! Had to put my biggest lobster of the year back.

This was my 1st year lobster diving in a while and I forgot how fun it is! I made my own tickle stick, bought a 1 hand bug bag (opens and closes with the squeeze of 1 hand), bought my license online and stuck my new numbers to my tanks and that was it. The best fun I had all year was fighting a 4 or so pound lobster for about 15min only to get it out of its hole and fine a load of eggs under her:confused: damn! Had to put my biggest lobster of the year back.

You are allowed to use a "tickle stick" in MA?Here in NY waters it is Mano - Mano hands only .

Yeah a small stick with only a slight bend no hooks are allowed

I never use sticks. Brute force seems easier. Watch out for claws:wink:

in ma - Not Allowed: Massachusetts General

Laws prohibits the taking of lobsters

by spearing, dipping, or dragging.

Spearing – the use of a spear gun,

pole spear, or any other object that

may be used to pierce the shell of the

lobster as a means of harvest.

Dipping - the use of a dip net.

Dragging - the use of mobile or

hauled nets or dredges.

Snares - poles with loops.

Allowed: Harvesting of lobster by

hand, or the use of an angled “tickle

stick”, which is a straight or slightly

bent stick used to agitate a lobster

into coming out of its hole.

I can't wait to start lobstering this year. I heard about some great spots on the Cape.

Anyone know where I can get one of those measuring devices for the updated size requirements?

Back
Top Bottom