moisture desicant

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Les

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My camera manufacturer recommends using Moisture Muncher desicant. If the shop doesn't have any, what are some other ideas for desicant are others using?

I haven't had any luck recharging them.

You can buy them (Moisture Munchers) online for about $6-9 for a pack of 10 capsules. My camera won't fit anything except the capsules so I haven't priced the packets. The price in the above link is really good, though.

I go to Lens and Shutter (photography store). I think they have one in Vancouver. They save all the little packs that they get with lenses or whatever and put them in a drawer and give handfulls away free. Any camera store might do this. I put a bunch in the toe of a sock and use it in my video housing. To recharge them, I put it over the vent of my forced-air heating system for a day or so (I guess this doesn't work as well in summer).

so the moisture munchers turn blue again once turning pink? I will also look into the photo store freebie. I sometimes come across the packets like when you buy a new pair of shoes etc. but with those there is no way to tell if it has been used up or not because of it being in a white bag. even when the munchers turn pink they still have the crystalized look and feel to the. I thought if it was absorbed it would solidify or something. anyways thanks for the helpful hints.
Les

Les:
so the moisture munchers turn blue again once turning pink? I will also look into the photo store freebie. I sometimes come across the packets like when you buy a new pair of shoes etc. but with those there is no way to tell if it has been used up or not because of it being in a white bag. even when the munchers turn pink they still have the crystalized look and feel to the. I thought if it was absorbed it would solidify or something. anyways thanks for the helpful hints.
Les

I've never been able to get the Moisture Munchers to recharge. Once they turned pink, no amount of dehydrating turned them blue again so I had to throw them away. They're too expensive for me. I use the dessicant packs from Preserve Smart. I've got some that are 3 years old and still working just fine.

For me , I buy the Korean Seaweed ( a type of tibits ) from the Watsons store at my neighbourhood mall. S$2 for a pack of 10. After I finished enjoying my tibits :D , I will salvage the desicant packs . Sun them for about 3 hrs before every trip. And store them in those air tight Vitamin C Effervescent bottle, as the bottle cap, has desicant for it. If i'm not wrong, some medicine bottle works the same

I have preservationstation packs and they recharge fine for me. I just stick them in my oven on the lowest setting for ~5 minutes. Just keep an eye on them. Not difficult.

Monkey Knife-fight:
I have preservationstation packs and they recharge fine for me. I just stick them in my oven on the lowest setting for ~5 minutes. Just keep an eye on them. Not difficult.

NOt difficult at all. But they don't always recharge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom