DEPP insurance questions - split from general insurance thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hope this is not a highjack...but what if your camera is not made anymore?

If DEPP replaces my D-100 with another model, then the housing won't be of any use.

So, anybody know?

Also, anyone that has made a claim have any experience with the steps you take?

I have the policy # written on my Pelican case, inside the lid. Would I be required to show receipts, the actual camera, or what?

oh...I see the FAQ on your site. Looks like it is only for DAN members.

Police report if stolen, I see. I don't see where it tells you if you have to send the camera in...not covered if dropped overboard, etc.

I'll answer based on my experiences YMMV:

I insure my gear together. If both bits are ruined/lost but discontinued, DEPP will replace with the equivalent gear to the same insured value. I've had to do this with a video sytem. If only one piece is ruined/discontinued, DEPP isn't responsible for the other bit and you will have to either find a replacement to fit (which DEPP pays for if it was insured) the bit that wasn't ruined/lost OR get the replacement new bit as insured by DEPP and independently buy the relevant housing/camera whatever to suit it.

Read your policy carefully and have a look at the section on "how to claim". There are clear instructions in there and I make sure that I give them all the pieces the FIRST time I contact them about a claim. This makes the process much faster and much less painful.

Yes, on receipts mostly. You will also need provide a statement from an authorised repair centre stating the problem/fix (either uneconomical to repair or the repair receipt). This means that you do have to take the gear in or ship it in to a repair centre...the insurance company doesn't just take your word for it. They need the statement. Once they have authorised the repair/replacement then you can go ahead and get it repaired or buy new stuff - don't do this until you have confirmation!

When I flooded my Canon 20D and lens, I also sent through the links to the replacement parts so all they had to do was order it. I always have them pay the provider directly so I am not out of pocket and waiting for DEPP to pay.

what do you mean by you insure your gear "together"?

I gave them a list of my camera and lenses and strobe. Does DEPP have a website like H20? It did not turn up on Google... So...do you insure your housing?

And maybe I missed it, did you figure out what caused your flooding?

I have stopped taking the o rings off every time. I figure if there was no hair or grit under it last time...I leave it in place and take my slightly lubed finger along the exposed edge, sort of feeling it. Then I look closely at the edge through the acrylic. That is what I think I might miss with the more expensive housings is that visual test...

I am intuitive with the process and always want to hear the conventional wisdom, although I admit certain things I can't accept. Ikelite says not to apply silicone to the main O-ring, only the ports... I still do it, I have the need to touch the o-ring. I did stop removing it every time, because I feel that it is likely to get nicked getting it out of there. About every 3-4 times I take it off and wipe the housing down with the microfiber towel.

I am starting to think about a service for the housing, since it has been almost four years of pretty hard use. When I look at the cost of sending it off from Hawaii, I wonder if I might be better off just dealing with the inevitable.

I do need to read the policy because if I have never serviced it, then maybe I would not even be covered?

So, if the housing fails, and the camera floods...when is it assumed the housing is at fault vs a hair, etc?

http://www.awryinc.com/depp.html - I've added this to the Pink Link, too.

Together...I insure my housing and my camera. My camera and my lenses. I insure my batteries and my cards. Currently everything has flood, too. For my Canon A series and Canon housings I don't insure the Canon housing for flood as a good rinse will save them; the cameras, batteries and cards are all insured against flood.

Usually a flood will not destroy a housing, but it will destroy the electronics. It may or may not be worth it to add flood damage to a housing - you'll have to see how much the electronics are to replace and see if it's worth it to you. You can insure the housing without insuring it against flood. That will cover things like theft, accidental damage (someone pushes it off a table etc)...

I insure stuff together mostly so if I lose it or it's stolen I know I can replace the whole system.

Don't forget things like synch cords etc - basically anything you don't want to pay out of pocket for and that is more than the added premium/excess you have to pay. IMHO

ahhhhhh...the pink link.

I have not seen that! thanks.

hmmm. It is a good thing I was looking at this, because it seems I have an H20 policy not DEPP, afterall. JB changed us to Dive Assure recently which might void my insurance. It says you must be DAN member at "inception".

Still, it might be fun to compare numbers, as I think DEPP looks like a better deal, dollar for dollar.

Alcina has provided very accurate information for dealing with DEPP. All I can add is, they are very good at replacing what they insure with either a replacement, an upgrade(you pay any balance over price insured), or a repair.

I'd recommend DEPP insurance to anyone wanting flood insurance.

The pink link is great...that should save you a lot of typing, alcina.

great job you have done with that! That should keep my little brain occupied for some time. I am already wondering how to set my own default settings, because that would help a lot, I think.

so...just curious. Why did you choose DEPP over H20? has anyone calculated the aproximate coverage dollar per premium dollar, comparison?
oh, I see the note.

my breakdown:

My H20 coverage:

Description (manufacturer, model number, etc.) Serial# (if applicable) Replacement Cost
Ikelite D-100 housing #6810 $1,060.00
Nikon D100 2252697 $1,300.00
Nikkor 105mm lens $650.00
Nikkor 12-24mm lens $1,030.00
Ikelite port #5506 030204 $140.00
Ikelite port #5508.05 011404 $140.00
Ikelite port #5503.50 $140.00
Kingston memory card 1024mb P716381X2 $135.00
Ikelite Strobe $750.00

$5,345.00

premium is 160.00

DEPP:
$1,000 Limit = $10.00 annually
$2,000 Limit = $30.00 annually
$3,500 Limit = $65.00 annually
$5,000 Limit = $95.00 annually
$7,500 Limit = $125.00 annually
$10,000 Limit = $150.00 annually
$12,500 Limit = $180.00 annually
$15,000 Limit = $210.00 annually
$17,500 Limit = $240.00 annually
$20,000 Limit = $270.00 annually

Looks like it is quite a bit less, especially if I drop the ports, get the number under 5K USD. Unless I am missing something.

I need to add the 10.5 fisheye though now that I have the 8" Port.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom