What's the best way to secure a camera to you? Gear retractor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@dam

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So, I used to have a Canon SD800 with underwater housing. The yellow neck strap often got in the way, so I primarily secured it with the wrist strap. I visited the galapagos and had all kinds of great shots and videos of swimming through walls of fish and playing with sea lion pups. Truly magical.

Then, on one dive, I was buddied up with this chunky chick. Needless to say, she was pretty bouyant. We were diving a reef when her weight belt came off. She started floating quick and was kicking and scratching/breaking chunks off the reef...sort of panicking. I started dragging her back down so she could hold onto something, and some others helped. I swam down and recovered her weight belt. I then went and had to jam the belt between her back and her tank. When the bubbles cleared, my camera was nowhere to be seen- the strap either broke or came off in the struggle.

I'm about to get a new underwater camera, and would like a better way to secure it. I was thinking of getting one of those retractable lanyard "gear keepers" and either securing the camera to my BCD or maybe to a bracelet with it.

Any suggestions for a decent model for a compact camera? Any other attachment suggestions?

I recommend a bolt snap which allows you to safely clip your camera to a D ring on your BCD. Your LDS should be able to add one to your tray or camera. Hope that helps...

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1325885711035.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1325885711035.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 1,614
I use a coil lanyard. Like this one except I modified the bottom with a locking carabinier that stays attached all the time while in the water:

product_detailed_image_144_2562.gif

Scuba :: Coil Lanyards :: Coil-Lanyard w/Brass Snap - Cetacea Corporation

They sell other versions with different attachments also. http://www.cetaceacorp.com/scuba/coil-lanyards/

Here's mine:
cetacea.jpg

The advantage is there's wire inside the coil but it still allows about 3' of range of motion when separated. So the camera always stays connected to you during use. The brass snap is solid yet can be un-clipped to hand my housing up to a boat crew member. I've actually let it dangle a couple of times below my feet when I was pre-occupied with something else. My video camera/housing (Amphibico) is likely much heaver than yours was.

I second the coiled lanyard. I originally used a retractor with a locking switch, but the switch would eventually stop working and the retractor wasnt strong enough to keep my camera retracted.

As to a new camera, I have been really happy with the Canon SX230HS' 12MP w/ 14x zoom and an underwater mode if you want to use such a thing. You can see what I've taken with it at Picasa Web Albums - Jak Crow - Underwater Ph... . Everything in that section has been taken with the 230. I've seen it for under $200 recently and Canon sells a case for it at around $170. Pretty good deal for a compact underwater system that gives great results.

Another vote for the coiled lanyard, basically always attached to my BCD while underwater. One thing to add though is don't loop it through a split ring (i.e. like your standard keychain ring) which is then connected to your rig. On a recent trip, someone had their's setup like this and somehow come undone, and they lost their rig.

Another vote for the coiled lanyard. It works great, keeping the camera close by. When I need to, I unsnap the middle and have plenty of room. When not needed I leave it snapped together and it stays with me.

1/4" Nylon rope and a stainless steel bolt snap.

The plastic clip/coiled lanyard crap cost me an expensive camera in an even more expensive housing. The coiled part is nearly indestructible, but all the plastic parts are fragile and break unexpectedly.

Never use anything you can't easily cut in an emergency.

flots.

Bolt snap on a D ring of your harness. IMO.

I lost a camera also, due to using a nylon lockable "wrist strap", and it had been cinched tight, high on my bicep! Now, when it is not in my hand, my camera is securely snapped on my D ring, using a solid metal bolt snap and NOT with any plastic/breakable clip.

Note: see image posted above by Broct for an idea. Very much the same as I use.

Well, my vote is controversial. I never attach a camera during a dive. I always have a bolt snap though to attach it in an emergency or at a safety stop if I feel the need.

A short piece of nylon string 3' long or so with a bolt snap that is "looped up" to make is shorter where it hangs only 3 or 4 inches off one of the handles is a nice option for bigger cameras in an emergency.

Back
Top Bottom