Im Seek artifacts help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seaworm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm from Michigan yet I want to know where I can go on the east coast to collect artifacts any really! Is is legal to take of New Jersey and New York waters?

Look into maritime law & salvage to get a better idea. Depends on what you mean by artifacts, I suppose. But, if what you're talking about amounts to looting of existing wrecks, I'd certainly advise against it as it can be considered criminal in some waters.

In Atlantic Canada it is now against the law take anything. They have adopted the most ridiculous in-situ preservation ideals from UNESCO. The gov. here does not have the money to do anything with the wrecks here so their policy is to leave everything in the water forever and hope that in a century or so they may get a grant to do some research. Mean while the sea just continues to chew the wrecks up,
the divers will continue to pick the bones and the museums will be left out entirely.
ZDD

If you are trimix certified, we have a specific trip to a specific wreck specifically to collect artifacts in June. There are portholes, china, and the bell has never been recovered. If you're not trimix certified, well, I don't know where you'd go that hasn't been plundered. It takes a little bit of research to know what wrecks to hit and which ones to miss. Don't touch a war grave, leave anything painted haze gray alone, and if it has an active salvage right against it, it's not for you, either.

In NY and NJ, within 3 miles of the coast is State waters and anything over 50 years old is State property. In Long Island Sound, NY and CT State waters go out to mid-sound, which can be 7-8 miles out. But there is no enforcement in any of these states. I have also never seen anyone get bothered about bottle diving or beach metal detecting.

The only protected wrecks in any of these states waters are Navy ships.

Back
Top Bottom