Where can I dive for fossils? How can you find a spot?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sappnasty

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Good afternoon everyone,

It has been over 4 years since my last fossil dive. I came down for the Scubaboard Fossil Bash that weekend and it was my very first fossil dive and so far it has been my last. That weekend was absolutely amazing and on the last day I caught the itch really bad when I found my first Meg tooth floating on the bottom. It was only about 3", but a complete Meg never the less. Now that my children are a little older, I have finally found more time to dive. So long story short, I have had the bug the entire time but after looking through the entire fossil pictures thread, I really want to get back to it!

So with all of that in mind, I have a couple of questions. When I was looking through the pictures thread, I noticed a lot of members seem to be very successful at diving for fossils in freshwater rivers. Well I live in central Florida (Daytona Beach area) and there are no shortages of rivers, waterways, lakes or oceans here. My question is, for those of you who scout rivers and other areas that are similar, what are you looking for? What makes a potential fossil bed? I know you probably dive a lot and come back empty handed, but when you do find an area, what contributing factors influenced the bed?

Since I live in the Dayton Beach area, the only area I know of to look for fossils is Venice Beach between the pine tree and pipes...other areas I'm sure but thats the only one I have access to. So does anyone know of anywhere here near my location that I could dive or look?

And my last question is, what type of specialty gear or suggested gear makes that type of diving more beneficial other than the regular stuff? I found that when I was in Venice, that next time I go I will have a flash light and maybe a small trowel or garden shovel. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am also looking for a dive buddy in the area that could get me back into diving and to have some fun with. please let me know.

-Michael Sapp

Search the previous posts/threads concerning Venice & fossils....Some of your Q's will be answered there.......The Peace River just outside Arcadia, Florida [about an hour east of Venice, on Rte #70] is a common place to fossil hunt just by wading......In Venice, the fossil beds are effected by fine clay silt which shifts depending on weather/tides and current.......The 'beds' just happen to be closer to the surface [and in shallower water] in Venice, than just about any where else in the world; thus 'Shark tooth capital of the world'.....Unfortunately over the past several years the silt has shifted and continuously covers the Venice 'beds' and causes the 'viz' to be low [1-3'] for long periods......No telling when the silt will 'go away' or if it's a permanent situation........

Heading down to Venice in a couple of weeks,

Hope to meet up with anyone from the board, dorp me a line.

ok, if you have access to a boat or if the river is not that deep and you don't mind dift diving, then you can find some spots. In a boat you will want a long pole, metal preferred and you will tap the bottom. You will "feel" the pole hitting sand and gravel, you want gravel. Once you think you hot a gravel bed, drop anchor and go over and investigate.
Drift diving is jsut that, you drift with the current and look at the bottom as you drift. I do this sometimes in the black waters but I worn you, this can be very dangerous due to the limited viz in black water. the downed trees, etc. but I would drift with a boat and others there just in case but I still smacked my head on a downed tree and scrapped it good. Now I dive with a dive helmet and I mounted my lights to it so I have hands free, lol YEAH~!

Just do not go over your comfort level when black water diving.

thanks for that...sort of.

Now I have to add "finding a meg tooth" to my ever growing list of things to do :)

Although I have a few meg teeth (biggest one is 6") I like the big (3"+) Giant Mako teeth the most. I do like finding the larger teeth like the Angustidens and the ariculitus. I also have a museum quality 2" butter yellow Hemipristis serra tooth. I cannot access my photobucket from work but I can try and post some pics.

Think finding fossil shark teeth are neat? wait till you find a fossil mammal tooth like a giant beaver, giant sloth, mammoth, mastodon, bison, camel, etc. that is a rush. I have only found partial mammoth and mastodon teeth and a partial tusk but I was with Lee when he found his complete mastodon tooth, and it was something~!

I bet it super cool to find real fossils.... All I ever find is old bottles.... From the 70's:shakehead::depressed:

Jim....

Prehistoric Florida <- Click here for a GREAT Florida fossil reference

ps: that really truly was a great day AeroMike.

Michael,

Connect with fossil clubs and fossil hunters in your area. Learn about geology, the earths different strata, and the thickness of the overburden. Learn about which strata contains fossilized materials and where this strata will be close to the surface of the earth. Pay particular attention to limestone and phosphate.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom