Cooper River Dive 11-17-2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

P11

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Just got back from diving the Cooper River with some buddies. Wanted to post photos on what I was able to bring home. Doing some research on some of these teeth and the small piece which looks like part of a clay pipe. Enjoy.

1.jpg
Appears to read "Frideric" which is raised on the surface. Also notice what appears to be a pipe carved into this artifact.

2.jpg
The diameter section with the bored out hole which runs through this piece in a straight line.

3.jpg
The triangular markings with the single dot between them along the side. You can really notice it on the right side of this photo.

4.jpg
Appears to read "VonderWALL". You can clearly see that "WALL" is in a different font. It is also raised on the surface.

P1018520.jpg

P1018521.jpg

P1018523.JPG

Very nice! I never got a chance to see the pipe. Very cool!

I didn't really look at it until this morning. It looked unusual underwater so I grabbed it. I didn't think much of it at the time. Also, that tooth is from a sand tiger. It matches the images I compared it to.

So good advice that, "if it looks unusal, different or out of place pick it up?" Ha!Ha!

Best advice. Worst case scenario, it gets tossed back into the water.

yup, that is part of the stem to a clay pipe. Tony is correct, I always grab stuff and through in in my bag to look at up top. I have a finer mesh bag zip tied inside my larger mesh bag for the smaller items such as barracuda teeth and stingray barbs, etc.

Cool thing about the clay pipes, they used to have them in the taverns and they would start out with a long (about a foot) stem. One a patron was done using it, he put it back on the shelf and the next person would take the pipe and break off a small piece of the end of the stem (so he had a fresh end to put in his mouth, lol). they would jsut toss their pieces in the water like a lot of items. I have a few pipe bowls over the years and my friend Jason found a killer Masonic bowl.

Mike according to the State Arch's the breaking off of a few inches of stem between smokers is an ( old Divers tell ) that 100+ years ago people did not know or care about germs. Food for Thought.

Always open to learning!!! thanks Joe, will remember that. Now I am jsut hoping to find a nice bowl with a bit of stem attached. lol

Mike there's a class the State put on in March on Artifact ID for $30. bucks. It's on a Saturday and a very good class, My son and I took the course 2 years ago. Here's someMUSEUM AND MY COLLECTION 195.jpgMUSEUM AND MY COLLECTION 196.jpgMUSEUM AND MY COLLECTION 197.jpg pic's of a few bowls we have found over the years.

Back
Top Bottom