Code of Ethics for Diving on Underwater Cultural Heritage Sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am curious on what gives archeologists the right to bring up artifacts and the regular divers can't. I also question on why if a private civilian finds a shipwreck on his own after spending countless hours and vast resources in hunting the shipwrecks does he have to report it to the proper authorities. Also what gives the government the right to tell me if I can dive the shipwrecks that I find and need permission to dive. This is ridiculus, what makes a shipwreck historical? 95% of shipwrecks were working vessels that offer no new insight on how life was. If I want to salavage a shipwreck that I found then by all means I should have the right and responsibility of bringing up the artifacts. A shipwreck is usually a violent place and the artifacts are scattered far from where they should have been on the vessel, meaning that the location of the artifacts are meaningless. If people want to dive new shipwrecks that are not picked over, buy yourself a sidescan unit and spend the countless hours mowing the lawn like I do and locate the wrecks yourself. It's up to you if you want to give the location out and should not be forced to.

I don't really have a position about it, at the moment. I'm just starting to make my mind and look forward to hearing opinions from those who have already made it.

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Tapatalk

Jared I believe if you violate a united nations recommendation, that they will spend about 6 million dollars discussing it, and then they will spend 10 million to get a boat and put some dudes wearing blue helmets and come watch you for awhile, then after careful consideration they may decide that you are in violation of their rule and recommend to the actual government that they take action with a 100 page document that the actual government will not read, but may send a $5000 pos police boat out and give you a ticket. of course I made that up, so your actual results may be different.

It cracks me up no end seeing "SailNaked" which essentially implies a welcome ethos of non-conformity weighing in on anything involving the UEN - that's the United Effing Nations, an organization that I hold close to a part of my body slightly lower than my heart. A little higher than my thigh and to the rear.
Oh boy, you sure don't want the UEN to get on your case. They'd want all the court documents printed on paper from giant sequoia trees because their cases are THAT important and THAT relevant.
Ok...I'm done.

It amazes me that the UN would even be writing about ethics, considering their track record.

Bob

Guys were all in the clear to do whatever you want without fear of punishment due to the fact that you are supposed to report it to a competent agency and we all know there is no such thing as a competent government agency

Back
Top Bottom