Housing for Canon HF-10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VJey

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi, I have a canon HF-10 and im looking for a housing, i only found an Equinox and Ikelite. Wich is better? Can I do WB on one of those housings? If i wrote something wrong, sorry because english its not my fluent language.

Thanks.

Luiz Felipe

According to the Ikelite website, their housing does NOT access manual White Balance.

Vjey,

Bouncing around the board today and noticed you might have some questions on housings for the HF10 camera.

Here is what I have for you, if it helps great.

As of right now I only know of 2 mfgs. building for that camera and that is ikelite and equinox. Ikelite makes a great housing and I think which ever way you choose you will end up with a great unit that allows you to capture the footage you are trying to get.

Now, I am an Equinox Rep on this board for customer support and to help anyone make an informed decision about our housings so I would like to tell you somethings about our units that is the same as other mfgs. and also some things that we feel set us a part.

Equinox HD6 Housing (Black), see banner on the left of screen for a picture.

The Equinox HD6 housing Features:

• 5 Manual controls-Power on/off, Record start/stop, Zoom-Wide/Telephoto, Photo still and memory
• Industries longest warranty-3-years
• 250 ft depth rating (75 meters)
• Close to neutral buoyancy at 33 ft (10 meters)
• BRS (Ballast Release System) for easy travel or if trouble occurs on a dive, simply pull the quick release pin on one of the wings, the wing and handle (ballast) release, the housing now becomes positive and shoots to the surface

The Equinox HD6 Housing Includes:
• Wide-angle lens for your camera
• External Color correction filter
• Spare parts kit and Domeport Protector

Body Design and Measurements

All Equinox HD6 housings have the same body design. The camera dictates where the controls are located. The camera also dictates out of water weight and length of body.

Length: 6-8 inches
Width: (w/o wings) 6.5 inches diameter
Height: 9-10 inches with removable feet
Weight: (out-of-water): 9-16 pounds with “Ballast Release System” (BRS) attached (depends on the camera)

Also, after you current camera dies, we offer a retro-fit program for the Equinox HD6 housing; we will take your new camera and retro-fit your old housing to your new camera. Costs usually run about 1/3rd the cost of buying a new camera. (Cameras need to be fairly close in size to keep the cost minimal)

To clarify, these are the items that set the Equinox HD6 apart from the competition:
1) Housing includes wide angle lens and domeport (very important for getting the best shots underwater) our competition has this but it is at an additional cost, $315.00
2) We can add controls for you down the road, out of the box our unit has 4-5 controls, if you want more we can add them with your original order or 2 years down the road as you skills grow.
3) 3 year warranty--industry standard is 1 year
4) BRS system (see above)
5) Retro-fit program
6) Customer support- we are the only mfg. that I know of on the boards dealing with customers directly and openly. Some others may be out here but they are not confident enough in their product to use their real names and company logo like we are.

As you can see the Equinox HD6 is a great little housing and offers you quite a bit of flexibility now and in the future with our many options.

So if you have any questions or need anything let us know, myself or one of our many new dealers can help you at almost anytime.

GET READY A NEW WEBSITE IS COMING FROM US! ALL EQUINOX HOUSING DEALERS MAKE SURE YOUR LOGO IS IN WITHIN THE NEXT 2 WEEKS.

Thanks Sam. One more question, how can I see the LCD, Is it easy to see without back monitor?

Hi Sam, I have the same question as Vjey, are you shooting blind without the additional LCD monitor accessory? Which LCD monitor would be appropriate for the HF10/100 and how does it attach/passthrough to the camera?

I haven't bought the camcorder yet, so I'm trying to find out as much as I can about housing options. So far the HD6 is looking pretty good. It's not too clear yet what the difference is with the Pro 6 which your website shows for other Canon HD camcorders.

Hmm, can't edit my last message. Nevermind about the LCD question, I hadn't seen this properly before but managed to dig up some photos from another forum. One annoyance about shopping for housings online is the real lack of 360 photos. It would be nice to really see one of these units closely, along with all the mechanics, before placing an order.

Sorry guys I was out of the office for a few days.

Ok in regards to the monitor as we all know the HF series does not have an eyepiece, same with the sony sr 11 and 12

In our housings the lcd can will open almost half way, for some this is ok, for others it is not. When it is not, we offer a 2.5 inch rear mounted lcd. You have a couple options with the monitor; 1) just buy the monitor ($249.00) double stick tape it to the inside of the rear plate, turn it on, lock your plate down and go. 2) preferred method when you purchase the housing purchase the monitor, for $85.00 we will machine a pocket into the rear plate, attached the monitor, run a power control through the plate to turn the monitor on/off and install an external lcd shade to help with light washout. 3) point and shoot and use the top buckle as a riffle site for your shots-- not preferred method

Also, in regards to the monitor, we try to find affordable options for our customers, this monitor is best used for framing your shots, its not a $900.00 Marshall monitor. On this board their have been complaints in the past about the monitor but people have to realize we are not the Rolls Royce of the industry, we are the Toyota camary (works great and keeps your equipment dry) and I will stack up our footage against any other housing mfg. out there. I can provide high end 16x9 monitor but it cant be purchased for toyota camary pricing. I have a customer that complained all day long about the monitor and went out and built his own (which is fine), he used his buddies CNC machine, etc., etc. I could have done all that as well for him, but not for $250.00 and I am willing to bet his buddy isn't going to let him do that for free forever so lets at least be a little real here.

That is why we provide a base control package with our standard 6 series housings and we offer more for controls for purchase individually. I get the question all the time "why don't you include white balance" --we are charging under $800.00 for most of our housings. In our upper level housings its included, with our 6 line its not standard but can usually be added at time of purchase for less than $100.00 or add it years after the initial purchase. What I am saying is we are providing reliable, durable, quality equipment to the consumer and professional at a great price and if customers want to add extra features we welcome that and can accomodate almost everyone out there it just takes someone to ask. Sorry got a little off topic there. What were we talking about.... oh thats right monitors, I think I answered that.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

best regards,

Back
Top Bottom