Keeping housing port clean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlg

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have a Canon HF11 with a Ikelite housing. Most of my diving is in the midwest and there is always muck around (especially at thermoclines). Being new to underwater videography, I wonder if a product like RainX would help keep the port clear. Has anyone tried this?

Glass or Plastic Port? If it's plastic, RainX will cloud (etch) it over time. I thought RainX only helped water bead off when it's in the air.

There's a thread about it here somewhere, even their rep agreed - it's not for plastic.

Last edited:
Thanks, I also sent an email to Ikelite and got a very quick response. The rep wasn't familiar with Rain-X but suggested what they use, Novus #2 plastic polish. Now, I just have to fing the stuff.

Novus have a couple of products, 1 is just a lens cleaner which works great another is a fine scratch remover for plastic ports that also works well to remove fine scratches but does leave extremely fine scratches.... they wouldn't be noticeable through the cam however may cause tiny reflections. I wouldn't use it unless you have a specific scratch. Rain X is a product designed to work out of the water to stop water staying on the lens. So if your filming surfing it's a great product, for diving there is no point.... if you want that split level shot just use a bit of spit. I'm not sure whether you can use it on plastic ports either.

I believe Joe Holly from Marine Visions sells it, shoot him an email and he can ship it to you in a day or so.

Cheers

J

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom