Vintage Divers: Great Ambassadors of the Sport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trace Malinowski

Training Agency President
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I've been meaning to make this post since July when I met a trio of vintage equipment divers in Alexandria Bay, New York at the St. Lawrence River. The three divers were Robert Studnicka of THESCUBAMUSEUM.com, Barbara Heil and Allan John. They showed up to dive the Islander wreck in town and then we were fortunate enough to have their company the next day for dives on the Keystorm and America wrecks and cross paths at Hunts, at lunch and on the Islander again.

The gear was a walk down memory lane since my instructors who started diving in the 1950's still had their equipment around the dive shop where I began to learn to dive in 1981. But, what was an even better walk down memory lane was the positive attitude and passion for diving that the three exhibited. No talk of certs, depth, distance, diving prowess, egos, philosophy, politics, or any of the other nonsense that is dividing divers and "boxing in the sport."

They took me back to a time when every dive was an adventure no matter how shallow and a time when just blowing bubbles was the best thing on earth. For me, they made diving new again for a couple of precious days. Even better, I think I want to go play with the same gear that captured my imagination as a child and gave me heroes to emulate that to this day shape my concept of what it is to be a diver.

Thanks folks! I just wanted to let the vintage community know what great ambassadors to the sport they can count among in their ranks.

Great write up, Trace! :D

Makes you wish you kept some of your stash before :D

Great post, should be posted where all can see it not just those who venture into the vintage forum.

Nice post, Barb and Rob are friends of mine. The vintage community is fairly small and a good many of us have had the pleasure of diving together. In general you will find the majority of the vintage community the same.

That was a great post my friend!

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

Thanks Trace. I linked this thread on another site where Rob, Barb and Allan will see it.

Sent from my crappy PC by henpecking with two fingers :(

Some photos of the dive trip with Mo Hunt. Jen and Trace on Mo's boat on the way to the Keystorm/America.
trace.jpg

Rob coming on board after the America dive. The sunken "America" is a motorized barge and is in the center of the St. Lawrence shipping channel. It is common to have freighters pass overhead while diving the wreck.
Robamerica.jpg

And Herman; Kick me under bus, no longer your friend? Just Rob and Barb?

Trace, I think you need to add vintage diver to your profile to make it complete.

And Herman; Kick me under bus, no longer your friend? Just Rob and Barb?

:rofl3::rofl3: SORRY Allan !!!!!!..... Allan John I did not know or so I thought. :blush: .....guess John is what the "J" of your middle name stands for...as I look at your business card that sets above my computer.
Like should of said, Barb, Rob and Allan are friends of mine........:)

Back
Top Bottom