I think I may have a problem...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pjones

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I went to buy a new double hose reg, specifically a DAAM in rough shape that was in need of a good overhaul. My intentions were to pick the cheapest one I could find and replace the internals, pop a Phoenix valve into it and completely modernize it with new hoses and mouth piece, the whole works. I discussed with the seller prior to meeting him and he mentioned he had four regs to choose from all in various states and conditions. When I met him he showed me the regs and we discussed prices... Long story short, I came home with more than one reg.

I would like to introduce you to my new projects. :)

He had a reg mounted on the doubles setup and when he named his price for everything he actually did mean everything. So I now have a set of duck fins a round mask and a tank checker with a new doubles setup with chromed tanks.... I don't think I can get those tanks filled though which is a shame but it will look nice on display :)

I'm wondering if anybody would be able to identify the backplate. I can't see any signs of a manufacture however it feels like fibreglass or some composite of some sort. Its blue (paint?) will scratch off with a finger nail if you catch the edge of the paint where it has already come off. The composite portion is yellow and that appears to be the colour of the material. Thoughts?

Attachments

• DPP_0018.jpg
    DPP_0018.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 175
  • DPP_0019.jpg
    DPP_0019.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 156
  • DPP_0023.jpg
    DPP_0023.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 158
  • DPP_0025.jpg
    DPP_0025.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 161
  • DPP_0030.jpg
    DPP_0030.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 177
  • DPP_0033.jpg
    DPP_0033.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 168
  • DPP_0034.jpg
    DPP_0034.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 165
  • DPP_0035.jpg
    DPP_0035.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 164
  • DPP_0036.jpg
    DPP_0036.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 183
  • DPP_0038.jpg
    DPP_0038.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 175
That's sweet..... are the tanks chromed on the inside as well????????/

Wow, what a score. Even though I don't know what you paid for everything, all 3 Aqua Masters and the RAM are easy to get back in diving form. If you're planning on parting with one or two of the DA's you could possible make a good chunk of your money back.

I'm not sure of the back plate, although I'm sure someone here will recognize it.

Why can't you get the tanks hydro'd? They look like steal, so my guess is they should pass with flying colors, or flying chrome as the case may be.

Congratulations on your find.

It looks like an old Voit, but I'm not positive.

Wolfie: I haven't spun the tops off the tanks yet to inspect the insides. I'll post results after I get the chance to do that.

Sitkadiver: I've decided to keep the regs as projects, though I am curious as to what others would value them at. Both the seller and I were a little vague on the going rate for this equipment so we came to a price that was really more or less just a shot in the dark. (though we both knew well enough that he was giving me a good deal) (the latest model aqua-master breathes however the hose does have a tear in it)

You ask a good question, I may have taken the sellers words a little to litteral. He mentioned that they would not be able to be filled before he sold them to me although that may just be because they are out of hydro.... Can chromed tanks still be used? I'll post pictures of the imprinting on the necks possibly tomorrow.

You made a nice score. All very desirable regs. I saw a set of chromed double steel tanks in North Carolina that were being dived. I would not think plating a tank would weaken the steel. It is when you heat the steel it can cause a tank to rupture. I would anticipate some shops would try to not fil them as they do not know the history, etc. If it was me I would send them off for hydro and if they pass I would dive them.
Go to www.vintagedoublehose.com and you can get anything you need there to fully restore them.

I'm wondering if anybody would be able to identify the backplate. I can't see any signs of a manufacture however it feels like fibreglass or some composite of some sort. Its blue (paint?) will scratch off with a finger nail if you catch the edge of the paint where it has already come off. The composite portion is yellow and that appears to be the colour of the material. Thoughts?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Voit- early 1960s designed by Fred Roberts when he was an employee of Voit in Santa Anna California
Constructed of fibre glass- fragile -subject to breaking at the most inoppertune time
Very few have survived the passage of time and use
1962;
catalog # VBP10 D --delux---$16.95
VBP10 S --standard--$11.95
suggest retiring to wall hanger

SDM

Dr. Miller is right on this for sure. Blue Voits are sort of like computer hard drives. It isn't if they fail, it is when. I have seen one intact, every other one is in pieces. If you like that sort of back pack thing, look for a Sportsways (easy to find) or a Dacor. Metal.

Are those possibly Nemrod tanks? The boots are. Somewhere back I remember hearing a reason not to use chromed tanks but don't recall where or why. Could have been BS.
In any case, nice score...by the way, the cheater manifold is upside down...at least for DH use.

Thanks Sam for the identification. Would you have a picture, scan or link of the catalog page you referred to? I would be curious to know if it was a standard or deluxe model.

It seems the cheater bar is placed in that position because the reg will hit the top of the back plate if it is placed any lower.

The imprinting on the tank neck is as follows...

Tank #1 reads:
IWK 486 EA2555 K HOT L LLOYD'S
WC 15 LBS 7 OZS WP 2640 PSI 24.5.67
DN TP 3*50 PSI TW 17 LBS 5 OZ

Tank #2 reads:
IWK 967 EA82 HOT LLOYD'S KDN
WC 15 LBS 7 OZS WP 2640 PSI 15.5.68
TP 3556 PSI TARE WT 18 LBS 3 OZ

Note: The "*" indicates a digit that is not quite recognizable.
Note: The letters "DN" on tank 1 and "KDN" on tank 2 are scripted in the fashion of possibly a logo.
Note: The tanks mesure approximately 5 inches in diameter and approximately 22 inches in height.

The photos are of Tank #2 only, circling in a ccw rotation when viewed from above.

Attachments

• IMG_6681.jpg
    IMG_6681.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_6682.jpg
    IMG_6682.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_6683.jpg
    IMG_6683.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_6684.jpg
    IMG_6684.jpg