Annapolis to the US?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nadwidny

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I heard something today about the Annapolis going to California. Nothing on the ARSBC website. Anyone heard anything?

Brian

According to California Ships to Reefs:

The HMCS Annapolis (DDH 265) was arrested by creditors on April 23, 2013. This move provides court oversight of the vessel while Artificial Reef Society of British Columbia (ARSBC) and its creditors work out a plan of payment or the sale of the ship.

California Ships to Reefs (CSTR) learned of the arrest earlier this week (www.nsnews.com) (www.artificialreef.bc.ca) and considering how many volunteer hours have been put into the project, decided to look into how we can help to be sure the vessel is reefed and not scrapped. This could include the viability of bringing the ship to California. Two potential reef sites have been previously selected for ship-based reefs and teams can be created in both locations, should the vessel become available through court sale.

“The policy changes at the Maritime Administration (MARAD) make it virtually impossible to obtain a vessel from the “Mothball Fleet” in the near future,” said Andy Lee, CSTR’s Chairman of the Board. “It’s a shame that we can potentially obtain a Canadian vessel and not one from our own government.”

The Annapolis is virtually identical in design to the HMCS Yukon which was reefed in San Diego in 2000. Annapolis is 366 ft long, 42 ft wide and displaces almost 3500 tons. She has been partially prepared in Canada by thousands of volunteers over the last 5 years when ARSBC purchased her from the Canadian Royal Navy. Reefing the vessel in Canada has been fraught with multiple set-backs, the most recent a lack of funding to complete the project. This is not dissimilar to what happened with the USAF General Hoyt S. Vandenberg, when the project went over budget (hamptonroads.com/2011/07/norfolk-shipyard-out-11-million-after-failed-reef-case) (www.leagle.com/xmlResult.aspx?xmldoc=In%20FDCO%2020081028753.xml).

CSTR will launch a fundraising campaign to obtain the Annapolis should she become available through a Canadian court sale.

“We are seeking donations of any size from the general public and will also solicit donations for naming rights, and other high level donations, as well as grants from appropriate agencies and non-profits,” said Eleanore Rewerts, CSTR’s Executive Director. “We will announce special donation plans should CSTR decide to attempt rescue from the court.” To help the potentialAnnapolis project, make your donation at the CSTR website: www.californiashipstoreefs.org.

https://m.facebook.com/CaliforniaShipstoReefs/posts/10151616747664040

California Ships to Reefs is interested as per the above Facebook post.

Honestly I think it would be a bit of a smack in the face to all the local volunteers if it sank somewhere out of reach.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Such a fecal load... So much time, effort and resources invested by Vancouverite divers only to be discarded by a bunch of nimbys...

Any word on the final verdict about the paint concerns or was it just a manoeuvre to bog it down on legal paperwork while they waited for the ARSBC to bleed out financially?

Hopefully CSTR is jumping the gun on this. I'd rather see the Annapolis sink in California over being scrapped, but I'd also rather see her sink in BC before sinking in California -- Especially after over 20,000 hours put into it by all of the volunteers over the years (including those who have traveled far to put time in on the project!).

I feel frustrated, I wish information was more forthcoming, and that the NIMBYs would give it a break!

Impromtu Meeting Announcement in San Diego for Tues 28 May of CSTR:
To the leaders of the diving community in Southern California:

California Ships to Reefs’ Board of Directors has approved a plan to attempt rescue of the HMCS Annapolis, a Canadian destroyer. She was to have been reefed near Vancouver, BC, but the project ran into financial difficulty and the vessel has been “arrested” by the courts. CSTR plans to place a bid through the courts in an effort to bring Annapolis to California for reefing, keeping her out of the hands of the scrappers.

Volunteers have been ...working to prepare Annapolis for the last five years. It is estimated that very little work is remaining to bring her into compliance with US laws to bring her down. We have been informed that the volunteers would rather see her reefed in California, rather than go to the scrappers. We are working to also gain the support of her former crew.

The only place with an environmental permit in place is San Diego; time is of the essence.

I would like to invite you to attend a meeting on Tuesday, May 28th @ 7pm, to receive a briefing on what it will take to bring the ship to San Diego. The meeting will be held at Ocean Enterprises, 7710 Balboa Avenue, Suite 101, San Diego.

Please pass this information on to anyone you believe would be interested and could help. Please call or e-mail Kaylie ( Kaylie Brophy Kraus <kaylie@oceanenterprises.com>) at Ocean Enterprises at 858-565-9474 Ex 111 and confirm the number of people who will attend. More information is available by contacting CSTR at 530-633-4858 or email Eleanore Rewerts at emrewerts@aol.com. You can also visit our website at http://californiashipstoreefs.org/.

Thank you very much and I look forward to seeing you all on the 28th.

Good! Another sub-chaser along side HMCS Yukon. . .

That would go great with the Stanley Cup remaining here in the US for all perpetuity -and again down here in Los Angeles. . . :rofl3:

Probably not the most tasteful post, considering the mountain of time volunteers have put into the project.
Why y'all Canucks are most welcome to come down here to the US and dive HMCS Annapolis when she's finally reefed here in San Diego (just make sure y'all passports are machine readable at the US Port of Entry, or else y'all gonna need a Tourist Visa). Thank you so much for your efforts! And by all means stop on by and visit your precious two decades now removed icon - Lord Stanley's Cup- right here in Los Angeles on your way back home too. . .:rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom