Blue water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueBlur

Reaction score
Yep, another thread about Blue Water in Pelham.......:)

Hi, all. I am newly certified diver in Atlanta and would like to keep my skills up without having to run down to the beach all the time. I was wondering about a couple of things;

1. Is there any place to dive in or around the Atlanta area? I saw some talk when I did a Blue Water search about diving in Lake Lanier but that seems scarey to me. I hear there is a forest below the surface that is easy for a newbie like me to get tangled up in. Also, sort of being funny but sort of not, I am scared of coming across a dead body out there due to all of the boating accidents.

2. Also, is there a good SCUBA club in Atlanta? I found one on the internet Reef Dwellers. What would be the benefits of joining a club?

2. How does one dive at Blue Water in Pelham? I am from B'ham and I actually use to be a lifeguard at BlueWater when they had private parties. The only thing I know about SCUBA diving there is we had to throw rocks at the divers when they ventured under the high dive. This was about 15 years ago so I am sure things have changed. Anyway, do you have to go through a certain dive shop or can you bring your own equipment and just dive? Please understand, I am very very new at this, I have not done a single dive yet without my instructor so I am needing to learn diving ettiquette.

Thanks for all of your help/advice.

Welcome to ScubaBoard!

I can't help you much, never having been to Blue Water in Pelham, but I thought this...

BlueBlur:
The only thing I know about SCUBA diving there is we had to throw rocks at the divers when they ventured under the high dive.

...was hillarious :D

Thanks for the laugh!

if you havent checked out Bluewater yet, check out their site. http://www.divealabama.com/

all you need to do is bring your dive gear, pay the fees, and dive. they have it setup nice for divers now with many cars, boats, a bus and a couple of old firetrucks for you to look at underwater.

steve

DivemasterSteve:
if you havent checked out Bluewater yet, check out their site. http://www.divealabama.com/

all you need to do is bring your dive gear, pay the fees, and dive. they have it setup nice for divers now with many cars, boats, a bus and a couple of old firetrucks for you to look at underwater.

steve

Yes, I did find that webstie. I didn't know if they were the people who controlled entrance or not. THanks for the info.

BlueBlur:
Yep, another thread about Blue Water in Pelham.......:)

Hi, all. I am newly certified diver in Atlanta and would like to keep my skills up without having to run down to the beach all the time. I was wondering about a couple of things;

1. Is there any place to dive in or around the Atlanta area? I saw some talk when I did a Blue Water search about diving in Lake Lanier but that seems scarey to me. I hear there is a forest below the surface that is easy for a newbie like me to get tangled up in. Also, sort of being funny but sort of not, I am scared of coming across a dead body out there due to all of the boating accidents.
Welcome to the board and congrats on getting certified. The forest is below 60' and there is plenty to explore out there that isn't in the forest. There are shallow coves that are 30' or so where boats can't run in. As for the dead body, I guess it's possible. I haven't seen one yet, but when I do I'll make sure I take a picture.

One of these days in the later summer when Lanier is warmer I would like to invite you out to the lake. We could show you around and do a dive. I could show you an area that has little to no entangelment hazards.

2. How does one dive at Blue Water in Pelham? I am from B'ham and I actually use to be a lifeguard at BlueWater when they had private parties. The only thing I know about SCUBA diving there is we had to throw rocks at the divers when they ventured under the high dive. This was about 15 years ago so I am sure things have changed. Anyway, do you have to go through a certain dive shop or can you bring your own equipment and just dive? Please understand, I am very very new at this, I have not done a single dive yet without my instructor so I am needing to learn diving ettiquette.
Bluewater doesn't have any diving boards/high dive anymore. It has a really nice dock and is setup quite well for all levels of divers. Everyone out there is real friendly and more than helpful. They have a diveshop on site as well as a filling station. It's a real nice place to dive, I wish it was just a tad bit closer. Maybe one of these days we could meet up and pull a few dives at the quarries. There are also rockdivers quarry in madison, AL and diveland park in glencoe, AL. There is also a few quarries up in TN worth checking out.

Matt

Corigan:
Welcome to the board and congrats on getting certified. The forest is below 60' and there is plenty to explore out there that isn't in the forest. There are shallow coves that are 30' or so where boats can't run in. As for the dead body, I guess it's possible. I haven't seen one yet, but when I do I'll make sure I take a picture.

One of these days in the later summer when Lanier is warmer I would like to invite you out to the lake. We could show you around and do a dive. I could show you an area that has little to no entangelment hazards.

Matt
Sounds like a great idea. I will definately take you up on that. Just be sure and push the dead bodies out of the way for me though. :)

Corigan:

Bluewater doesn't have any diving boards/high dive anymore. It has a really nice dock and is setup quite well for all levels of divers. Everyone out there is real friendly and more than helpful. They have a diveshop on site as well as a filling station. It's a real nice place to dive, I wish it was just a tad bit closer. Maybe one of these days we could meet up and pull a few dives at the quarries. There are also rockdivers quarry in madison, AL and diveland park in glencoe, AL. There is also a few quarries up in TN worth checking out.

Matt
MATT YOU'LL S*** YOUR WETSUIT IF YOU SEE A BODY, JUST LIKE I WOULD.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom