How tough are Al tanks versus steel tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Goldminer

Contributor
Reaction score
I was just surfing the net today when I came across a video which really surprised me.

http://www.yukoneer.com/misc/Tank shootout Final.wmv

For some reason the LA Sherrif's dept. and some marine school took a full Luxfer Al 80 and a full LP steel 80, shot them with a 30-06 rifle and filmed it. The results were interesting. It took 3 direct hits to puncture the steel tank. The first 2 only dented it. The Luxfer failed first shot.

guidance and support? that's one way of putting it!!

I'm still waiting for the tank busting 100% O2 fill shot with a tracer round experiment.

means nothing. Unless it's a dead center shot, the curve of the cylinder deflects the energy of the bullet.

Aluminum tanks are thicker and steel thiner due to steels higher tensil strength and being less brittle. I can see the bullet hitting the stell and causing a bit of elastic flow cushoining the shot as oppesed to AL not wanting to flow.

Any thought on this or corrections ?

Back
Top Bottom