How tough are Al tanks versus steel tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeC:
Most .224 bullets are not made to penetrate thick or dense materials. Perhaps the SS-109 bullet used in the newer M855 military load for the M-16 would work. It has a steel core for penetration.
how about the 50 cal bmg shell what would that do to a tank filled with water and plugged?

hdtran:
Yes, let me state that the toughness of Aluminum vs. Steel is extremely dependent on the alloy and temper. 1100 Aluminum, for example, will elongate forever. I believe Aluminum tank are made from a 6000 series alloy, and the temper state is one of the work-hardened tempers (2-3 digits). The specific measurement that you want is the Charpy or Izod toughness. (Minor differences between the two; Charpy is more likely the one you want). (And no, Izod test has nothing to do with alligators :D)

The tensile strength of a hardened aluminum alloy can be higher than that of a soft steel (I can quote you alloys), but since I have no idea what alloys are used in tanks, I'll shut up here...

You sound like a metuallergist or maybe my material science professor. But yeah he's definitely right about the alloy. Steel can also be extremely brittle or softer depending on how its created and tempered.

divinginn:
how about the 50 cal bmg shell what would that do to a tank filled with water and plugged?

I have never tried that. I do think it may be visually cool. At a range of 200-500m the .50 should just destroy the tank. A .50 bullet weighs about 1/10 pound, it has some mass. Anyone have $6,000 for a Barrett rifle??

Michael, as long as the impact of the bullet hitting the tank doe not extinguish or dislodge the burning material (phosphorus) in the base of the bullet, then the O2 should cause the phosphorus to really burn and possibly the tank material as well.

In my thinking it would be the same as exposing a burning torch to 100% O2.

Any metal and gas experts???

jonnythan:
I dive at a quarry in VT sometimes, and trust me, the chances are pretty good.

http://www.ngray.com/galleryalbums/scuba_bigblue_10-03/PICT2598.jpg

The important thing to remember is that supersonic bullets (i.e. all high powered modern rifles) discintegrate and lose their power within 3-5 feet of water penetration. So at least you are safe while diving :D (from recent Mythbusters where they tested everything up to a 50 cal).

Safe diving :)

Bjorn

jeckyll:
The important thing to remember is that supersonic bullets (i.e. all high powered modern rifles) discintegrate and lose their power within 3-5 feet of water penetration. So at least you are safe while diving :D (from recent Mythbusters where they tested everything up to a 50 cal).

Safe diving :)

Bjorn

If you believe that, then I have a bridge I would like to sell you. Perhaps a bullet fired within a few feet of surface of the water will behave like the Mythbusters showed, but if say the shooter is on hill, 50-100 feet, above your place in water and the bullet drops some speed, it will penetrate the water and still have energy to injure or kill you. Place of impact determines what happens.

hdtran:
Yes, let me state that the toughness of Aluminum vs. Steel is extremely dependent on the alloy and temper. 1100 Aluminum, for example, will elongate forever. I believe Aluminum tank are made from a 6000 series alloy, and the temper state is one of the work-hardened tempers (2-3 digits). The specific measurement that you want is the Charpy or Izod toughness. (Minor differences between the two; Charpy is more likely the one you want). (And no, Izod test has nothing to do with alligators :D)

The tensile strength of a hardened aluminum alloy can be higher than that of a soft steel (I can quote you alloys), but since I have no idea what alloys are used in tanks, I'll shut up here...

Charpy is spec'd by the DOT

Lee
www.seapearls.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom