How tough are Al tanks versus steel tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

odds are youll get shot by a wife with a hand gun b4 u get shot by a 30-06
the question is,,is it your wife or the wife your.............
lol

hdtran:
Yes, let me state that the toughness of Aluminum vs. Steel is extremely dependent on the alloy and temper. 1100 Aluminum, for example, will elongate forever. I believe Aluminum tank are made from a 6000 series alloy, and the temper state is one of the work-hardened tempers (2-3 digits). The specific measurement that you want is the Charpy or Izod toughness. (Minor differences between the two; Charpy is more likely the one you want). (And no, Izod test has nothing to do with alligators :D)

The tensile strength of a hardened aluminum alloy can be higher than that of a soft steel (I can quote you alloys), but since I have no idea what alloys are used in tanks, I'll shut up here...

triton94949:
A person is much more likely to get shot by a handgun in America than by a 30-06.
That is only if the person is diving in a city.

Out in the sticks, rifles and shotguns are far more common.

I'd also like to see what a small caliber, high velocity round would do. Something like a 22-250. I suspect that accuracy would be critical, as the smaller caliber would deflect easier, but the penetration should be much better.

3dent:
I'd also like to see what a small caliber, high velocity round would do. Something like a 22-250. I suspect that accuracy would be critical, as the smaller caliber would deflect easier, but the penetration should be much better.

Most .224 bullets are not made to penetrate thick or dense materials. Perhaps the SS-109 bullet used in the newer M855 military load for the M-16 would work. It has a steel core for penetration.

MikeC:
Most .224 bullets are not made to penetrate thick or dense materials. Perhaps the SS-109 bullet used in the newer M855 military load for the M-16 would work. It has a steel core for penetration.

So, no hollowpoints. Maybe FMJ?

Is the M-16 .224 caliber? I thought it was standard .223.

All I know is that a 22-250 or .222 Swift really makes a crimson explosion when used for rodent control.

I had to wait to get to the shop so I could get on highspeed to check it out. Pretty fun.

3dent:
So, no hollowpoints. Maybe FMJ?

Is the M-16 .224 caliber? I thought it was standard .223.

All I know is that a 22-250 or .222 Swift really makes a crimson explosion when used for rodent control.

The .222 Remington, .22-250, .220 Swift and the .223 Remington use bullets that are .224". To be technically correct, the M-16 uses 5.56x45mm ammo, a slight difference from the .223 Remington round.

Did you know that the .44 Magnum does NOT use a .44" bullet? It is .429".

not a slight difference. a 223 is exactly the same a 5.56x45. They all use the same bullet diameter, which is .224 . True about the 44 though.

brdeano:
not a slight difference. a 223 is exactly the same a 5.56x45. They all use the same bullet diameter, which is .224 . True about the 44 though.

According to the technical manuals there is a difference in chamber pressures between the military 5.56 and the commercial .223 rounds. I have read, never measured it myself, that there is a small difference in both case dimensions and rifle chambers as well.

It is ok to use .223 ammo in a 5.56 chamber but not the other way around. Same issues with 7.62x51 NATO and .308 Winchester ammo.

You may be able to fire thousands of rounds of the military spec ammo in a commercial gun without a problem but then again.... Almost like overfilling a tank by 300psi.

Henryville:
I'm still waiting for the tank busting 100% O2 fill shot with a tracer round experiment.
mythbusters will give it a shot,want to see it if they do,just need to create a myth

Back
Top Bottom