Save-A-Dive Kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

steveann

Contributor
Reaction score
I can't find any definitive place where there's a discussion on this, so I figured I'd start one. My question is this.

What is in your save-a-dive kit, and why? What do you wish you had in it? What do you have in it that you really don't need? What would you suggest someone have in their save-a-dive kit?

steveann:
I can't find any definitive place where there's a discussion on this, so I figured I'd start one. My question is this.

What is in your save-a-dive kit, and why? What do you wish you had in it? What do you have in it that you really don't need? What would you suggest someone have in their save-a-dive kit?

I bought a PLANO fishing tackle box (the 2 sided with clear lids) and use it as my Save A Dive (SAD) kit. In my kit I have O-rings(tank, reg, camera housing), grease, misc straps, bulbs for both lights, 2 adjustable wrenches, 10 way screwdriver, allen wrenches, tie wraps ( 4" and 7"), electrical tape (the good waterproof type), spare mouth piece, rebuild kit for my reg and miscellaneous other parts that have managed to get thrown in that I think might "Save the Day" someday. I also have duct tape in my gear bag for emergencies or sealing wrist/ankles when the water gets below 40 degrees.
I'm interested in what everyone else has, maybe there's something I'm missing that I should have.
What should you have? Anything you think you might need that might salvage a day in the water. I'd rather carry a heavier kit than abort the dive and drive an hour to my LDS for something I should have in my SAD kit.
Chris

steveann:

What's in it? Starting with O-rings, because they are easy to change out. I wish I had a spare everything......Don't need? If I took out my spare fin straps (I have the spring straps now), someone would need one. If I left any of it at home, it would be the something someone would need. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it :14: suggestions? li'l plastic zip ties, spare clips or velcro thingies, spare mouth piece, spare batteries, I've also put in a couple of hair scrunchies. Oh, and my spare mask strap (bought the velcro one), scratched (or otherwise trashed) CDs (as a reflective signaling device), like I said, spare everything. I've seen some extensive kits. Only use for one I've personally seen was O-ring on a tank, that's a quick fix. Oh, then there's a few tools. Which reminds me..... I did see a fella let his gear fall over on a boat. Broke his regulator. Fortunately, the LDS operator on the boat with us, switced it to a loaner reg. (one of those extensive kits) Lucky for that guy or he'd have been watching bubbles from the boat deck!

steveann:

I'm a friendly voice telling you the Search is your friend.

These are just a couple of these discussion's I've been involved with. There are many, many threads on here that provide excellent information, practical usage and even some funny stories about Save-a-dive (SAD) kits and Dryboxes.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=94202&highlight=drybox

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=24517&highlight=drybox

Grab a diet pepsi and go hunting. We have tons of stuff on this in the archives! I recommend going to the top of the page, hit "Search" and put your queries into "Advance Search." Ted (Tech Admin) has a super database here with zillions of cross references.

As you're searching for your topic, you'll find all kinds of other fun stuff that will distract, inform and entertain you.

Maybe you should grab a couple of diet pepsi's for this one.

Enjoy.

---
Ken

in my travelling box of goodies....
lots of duct tape
o-rings
spare mask, mask strap and fin straps
couple of metres of shock cord (good for quick fix straps or lanyards etc)
cable ties / zip ties - whatever you wanna call them -big and small (excellent for fixing busted pinch-clip buckles on BCD, just tie them round the whole assembly thru the webbing slots)
plasters and surgical tape
long shaft screw drivers
allen / hex keys
electrical tape
snap lights and head torch (cause you will drop stuff on the floor on a night dive!)
spare batteries for comp and lights
sun-screen
old lanyards, pinch clips, little bits of spare junk...

Hope that helps
Si

Mo2vation:
I'm a friendly voice telling you the Search is your friend.

These are just a couple of these discussion's I've been involved with. There are many, many threads on here that provide excellent information, practical usage and even some funny stories about Save-a-dive (SAD) kits and Dryboxes.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=94202&highlight=drybox

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=24517&highlight=drybox

Grab a diet pepsi and go hunting. We have tons of stuff on this in the archives! I recommend going to the top of the page, hit "Search" and put your queries into "Advance Search." Ted (Tech Admin) has a super database here with zillions of cross references.

As you're searching for your topic, you'll find all kinds of other fun stuff that will distract, inform and entertain you.

Maybe you should grab a couple of diet pepsi's for this one.

Enjoy.

---
Ken

Fed up eh Ken :D

Good idea, can I make that a tomato juice instead of the diet coke. :wink:

We have a save the dive truck. We carry enough gear to kit up at least 2 other divers. LOL We are so hard core. LOL

Back
Top Bottom