Cave Diver wanna be...need some help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would sugest getting a few hundred cave dives under your belt, then finding and mentoring with one of the small handfull of people who do these kinds of dives first.

Jim, just curious. You sound like you have personal experience with these so called "caves" in Ontario. Why would anyone want to push a tank and squeeze through a dark cold tiny hole with zero vis alone? Sounds about as fun as diving in the sewer. Certainly not worth risking your life over

octgal:
Jim, just curious. You sound like you have personal experience with these so called "caves" in Ontario. Why would anyone want to push a tank and squeeze through a dark cold tiny hole with zero vis alone? Sounds about as fun as diving in the sewer. Certainly not worth risking your life over

I was wondering the same thing. I'm assuming there is something interesting to see on the other side. Is that correct? Or is it simply a challenge thing?

because it's possible. because they're there.

BabyDuck:
because it's possible. because they're there.

fair enough, but it just sounds more like a "i did it" bragging right, then for anything else. Now if you say its for the challange, then i can identify with the motivation as I find myself seeking more and more difficult goals all the time. Personally I need more reason behind risking my life, then simply "its there, so i must do it" But everyone is different and my no means am i judging you for it. Go have fun in your sumps:D

oh, you're not judging *me*! i'm planning cavern for maybe the next year or so - i was just stating my perception of why someone would dive there. sorry for any confusion.

Its ok, I understood your post, I'm not judging Jim either. In fact I would like to hear the stories they come out with from these challanging dives, and hear what they've learned. Just not my cup tea.

For the record, I don't dive these things. I definatly feel the pull of the challange, but I don't think I will ever have the experince or motivation to go dive them.

To dangerous for me, and no way to make it safer just to say I groped my way 500 feet in the darkness and felt the cave wall out.

octgal:

Not all sumps are nasty but the reason for diving the nasty ones it simply so that exploration of the cave can continue. A sight seeing dive isn't the goal. The diving is just a tool to aid in exploration...a necessary evil. I've done a little diving in caves like this (that I could get through with back mounted tanks) and personally I've decided that I really don't care where the cave goes, LOL but others do. In fact, I know several cave divers who took up diving for only one reason and that's so they would never again be stopped by a sump. a couple in fact have only done a few dives in OW in all their diving. they don't now and never have had any interest in diving OW...or diving in general except as it relates to getting through a cave. They learned climbing and rope work for the same reason...just something that they had to do in order to get through the cave. They are cavers who dive rather than divers who sometimes dive in caves. One group I know is on their way to the far north for some training on glaciers in preperation for an ice cave exploration project. Again, they aren't going up to climp around on ice just for the heck of it. They're doing it so they can get to the cave and they're going to the cave to explor it...not just to go diving. For some it isn't worth the risk but others have absolutely no doubt that it is.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom