Help needed, gotta decide fast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hahaha. That was fast. You guys are about 50/50 on this.

I will be the one planning on using his pockets and I do not use gloves. I thought the Zeagle Ranger had a couple tiny pockets?

Yea, customer service could be a deal maker for me.

Thanks .

Both are good BDC, backed by top-notch companies. But IMHO I'd steer him toward the Ranger...

1 -Better lift for someone his size (this may or may not be an issue depending on his
environment & equipment

2- He can use a BP later on if he decides to... Not as good at this as the Halcyon
but...

3- It's modular, if you break something you don't buy a new BCD just what you broke.

4- He'll like the crotch strap (sold seperatly)

He'll want to buy the trim pockets (probably) that fit in the back area by the tank.

I am a Halcyon user but he likes the other ones and I could use a man with a few pockets."
I have pockets...lots of pockets... lots and lots of pockets:05:

I've narrowed my choice down to those two. I'm going with the Ranger, for these reasons:

- Weight drop system is easier to deploy in an emergency situation - just grab the ripcord and yank, vs. fiddle with fastex buckles and then pull.
- Cheaper to replace weight pockets if you do dump weights and can't recover them
- Higher lift bladder (I'll be in a drysuit in cold water much of the time)
- Modular and more adjustable
- Better weight distribution (for me)
- Heavier duty construction

I've never used the Ranger, so I can't be completely objective. It was very easy to maintain proper buoyancy control and trim with the KnightHawk I used to own before I switched to a BP/Wing. I like the buckle weight retaining system because I don't like velcro. The wing is tapered so it's very streamlined, but it still has a good amount of lift. My wife likes her LadyHawk as well.

I have the Knighthawk, and I'm close in size to your friend. I love it. There is a usable pocket, you just have to know how to make it work.

So, my vote is for the Knighthawk.

Jeff

I vote for the Zeagle, but don't count my vote as I have no experience with either and am just being a smart *** who is trying to keep the 50/50 thing going. It sounds as either choice would be a winner though.

They are both good BC's.

I like the Ranger.

2 advantages.
A- Weight system on Zeagle does not need weight pockets and has a better one handed release.
B - The Ranger does not have a backpack. This lets it roll up smaller and lets the tank mount closer to the back.

Good luck with your decision.

Yea, because the suspense is killing you, right? Gearheads...... That picture of your baby makes me laugh every time I see it.

Well, I bought the Zeagle because I got a great deal and it seemed they were both getting positive opinions. Being in Hawaii, customer service can be important because shipping stuff back to the mainland can be time consuming. The truth is, I have never used a warranty on anything. ever.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom