Oceanic Compass-No Comparison to SK-7?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jim T.

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
After a search I've only seen one thread comparing these two. Anyone used both? I know that the Suunto has great tilt forgiveness. Is it so superior to the Oceanic that it isn't any contest? I've also read here that the arrow shape/design isn't as intuitive? Thanks.

I haven't personally used both, but a few weeks ago I dove Beaver Lake AR with my dad - I was using my Suunto SK-7 and he had an Oceanic on his rental console. The Oceanic seemed to take longer to zero in on a direction, and a slight tilt would get the Oceanic stuck.

Thanks NS Diver. That's great! A direct comparison...just what I'm looking for!
Any others with experiences with both? I'm doing my Nav Class in January and my LDS is an Oceanic dealer but I'm definitely leaning towards a Suunto from everything I've read here and elsewhere.
Jim

I've used both. They are both good, likely the best available now. You already know the SK7 is more forgiving as far as tilt is concerned, about twice as much. That also makes it harder to read from above - the compass card is hidden/shaded by the depth of the case and by the bowl shaped bezel. The Suunto is a little easier to read from the side, but it'ill tilt so much that it hides the scale! They both react and stop at about the same rate. Depending on which Oceanic model, the pointer "needle" can be a little hard to use, but it's never as good as the SK7s. I have the version with a 'pointed horseshoe' arrow, there is a version with a fat arrow and a version with a skinny arrow - it all depends on age of manufacture.

The lubbers line is easier to use/see on the Oceanic and I can't make up my mind if I like the bezel slanted in (sk7) or out (Oceanic). I guess it really doesn't matter. The SK7 is higher in profile but you can't damage/scrape up the bezel as easy. SK& is very high profile as a wrist mount! Use the DSS elastermeric mount for a wrist setup.

here's a shot of my 2 setups.

I owned a bunch of Oceanics when I ran dive charters. They met the legal requirement for compasses. Now I own an SK7 and it's much better than the Oceanics. Tobin at DSS makes a cool mount for it as well, although I just mounted it on the same strap as my computer.

Used both and I would go with the Suunto hands down...and I did. I also have the DSS boot and it seems that the past issues are taken care of..or at least they are on mine.

Tom Winters:
[...]although I just mounted it on the same strap as my computer.

Tom, how do you have that set up? (E.g. does the computer end up on the bottom of the wrist, compass on top, or...?) I've played with this a couple of times, and never come up with an arrangement I was happy with. (Granted that I have a largeish computer and smallish wrists....)

The rental gear that I used had the Oceanic console and I had bought a Suunto wrist mount for myself. Why do I like the Suunto?..read everything posted before. A superior compass all around.

crpntr133:
The rental gear that I used had the Oceanic console and I had bought a Suunto wrist mount for myself. Why do I like the Suunto?..read everything posted before. A superior compass all around.

Ok I read alot ( not everything ) that's been posted and it is a BS "SK7 is the way to go" but No 'Why'. That in general makes me think it's a snob thing - the suunto MUST be better - it costs more. You get the same BS in diving all the time, look at sea elite gear, Great stuff, that manifold is first rate, the can light is tops too and at half the price.
So I ask Agian Why.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom