Recomendations - Caribbean Destinations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You did not get a representative experience in the Caymans, so don't judge by that. You can have an excellent experience at any of the three.

On the other hand, the other sites that have been frequently mentioned by others on this thread are not to be ignored. I have not seen a recommendation I would argue against.

khatley:
Well, I was wanting to do Honduras and my wife wants Belize...unfortunately American does not fly to either of these destinations. anyone have any other recomendations as to where we can go that AA flies? http://aav7.aavacations.com/Consumer/aavspcfc.asp?BROCHURE=B7&TOINDEX=1

Huh? We just flew American RT to Belize only 3 weeks ago and their website also indicates they fly into Honduras as well. Looks like the AAVacations doesn't offer package deals for Belize or Honduras, but AA flies into those places if you are willing to make your own land arrangements.

http://www.aa.com/content/aboutUs/whereWeFly/maps/c_america_aa.jhtml

Hi

American Airlines flies to San Pedro Sula in Honduras, from Miami, then it is just a short hop on a local flight to the Bay Island, Roatan or Utila.

I would also agree Bonaire or Belize would be good

I would return to Cancun in Mexico.
They have a well developed tourist infrastructure. Many different resorts of all sorts to choose from.
You can dive the Cenotes as well as the reefs.
And you can go to the remains of the Mayan civilisation.
They have it all.

I'm just back from Bonaire and there isn't much there except the diving. Also the marine park is a bit of a joke as they allow the locals to drop huge stone anchors on the reef and fish out the high cash value species like sharks.

I have also dived on sundry islands around the Caribbean, the Western Atlantic area has a low biodiversity and the removal of mangroves and commercial fishing have deleted fish numbers.

Grenada offers good all-round diving for different levels of experience from deep to shallow wrecks and reefs as well as shark, stingray, turtle and eagle ray diving :D In addition to the well known Bianca C wreck we have the Shakem and the Atlantic wrecks of San Juan, King Mitch and the newly (early 2005) sunk HEMA 1! Dry time on the island also allows you to explore the various beaches and rainforest hiking trails and plenty of spots to explore. Dive in Carriacou, our sister isle, which can be reached with a modern inter-island ferry or light aircraft.

If you're interested and need more info you can send me a PM and will endeavour to answer as soon as I can!

I would highly recommend Little Cayman if you can handle a virtually deserted island with very little to do besides diving.

My wife and I went in June 2005 and loved it. Dive all you want and spend the rest of the time resting and reviewing the photos. It is difficult to describe the feeling as you fin out over the edge of the wall (Bloody Bay).....fantastic critters from turtles, eagle rays, the occasional shark and and too many fish to name. The reef is great as well.

We opted to stay and dive with Paradise Villas.....a great operation IMO. A DM goes on each dive. You are welcome to follow or once you have shown you are capable, you can go off on your own.

Be warned though....there is virtually nothing to do except dive....you can ride a bicycle (provided by Paradise Villas) around the island but other than that, you pretty much have to amuse yourself. This is not a place for those who love to go out and enjoy the nightlife (unless it is a night dive!).

Been to all three and all three are fairly different, some of the prettiest beaches in the Turks. Bloody Bay wall is hard to beat, keeping in mind that the sister islands bear little resemblance to GC. BUT my favorite place in the whole wide Carib. is hands down Bonaire- The boat dives can't be any easier, the shore diving is about as close to diving freedom as you can get, short of living in the water. If you like caves do the cave snorkel. It's quiet and small but there is a little night life and some shopping. If you believe ScubaDiving magazine their reader poll put Bonaire at the top of the list in several catagories. Food is excellent, there is some sightseeing that can make for a nice afternoon, windsurfing, kayaking, turtle nesting, AND A NUDE BEACH, what more can you want and lb. for lb. I think the best $$$$ spent. JMO- I have een to Roatan, Belize, all over Mex. etc. etc.-Bonaire, that's the ticket-M
PS you can PM me if you want more info and a contact on the island

Here are some locations to consider:

- The Grenadines - Off the beaten path and absolutely beautiful. Found the diving amazing off of Mayreau and St. Vincent.
- Grenada - My wife and I did our first dives as certified divers here. The diving, people, and scenery were incredible.
- British Virgin Islands
- St Lucia - Great diving and topside activities, especially if you stay near Soufrierre. Absolutely the prettiest place we've ever been. We traveled here with our daughter (7 months old at the time) and had a great experience.

HTH. Please let me know if you have any questions.

I'm heading to Saba at the end of April for a couple of weeks and from what I've read it looks pretty nice. Not many beaches or much shopping but good diving, restaurants and defintely off the beaten path. Get to St Maarten and then jump over by boat or small plane.

www.sabatourism.com

I wouldn't choose Belize again for a sole diving trip. It is better suited for inland excursions,
You might give Grand Cayman a try again. Only this time try the east end! Best diving I have done in the carribean. It is more challenging, but, worth it. I would stay at Morrits for its ammenities and dive with ocean frontiers and nobody else on that side of the island. if you dive the west end. Wall to wall is the best anywhere!
Or try little cayman. if you want to focus on diving alone.
you may also check into club med turks and caicos. we did a mommy /daddy trip there after we had our first kid and it was great. I'm not usually a club med guy, but, the dive op here was superb. they have two large fast power cats docked right out front and most sites are less than 30 min away. diving was great!

Back
Top Bottom