Tipping instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

but you can't make him bathe?

fairbanksdiver:
Can you get the Pink Swimingo Kool-Aid this time?

Grape makes the cyanide taste funny.

-Brandon.
Just about what I would expect from you.

jmyva:
Will be completing OW certification in Cozumel. How do you determine the tip %age? Do you base it on the total charge for the Referral Certification?

The more you tip, the quicker you get that free dive. Buy 10, get one free! Works for me!

After reading this thread I feel like a complete dufus. We have had the same instuctor from OW to rescue with some other courses in between. We do take him out to dinner but tipping never occured to me. Have to think of a way to make this up now. :(

jim ernst:
we should remember!!! the instructors GET paid!! it is usally the divemaster that should be tipped if they do a good job, and i have a couple of the instructors i dm for that politely let the class know this, though two of the instructors i dm for actully do pay me as thier dm!!! just my 2 cents

We may get paid but much less than a waitress. I teach because i love sharing my underwater world. I don't do it for the money the whole $60.00 I make for spending 5 evenings in class and pool. two days of openwater diving, some of the time having to drive 200 miles round trip to and from the lake if the ocean is blown out. I put my heart and soul into training my students to be the safest divers i can, I don't expect a tip, but it really makes me feel good when i get them. most tips are around $50.00.

ScubaTwo:
After reading this thread I feel like a complete dufus. We have had the same instuctor from OW to rescue with some other courses in between. We do take him out to dinner but tipping never occured to me. Have to think of a way to make this up now. :(
I am sure he truly appreciates the dinners..do not feel guilty..you gave him something that he was not expecting..And it takes more effort on your part to spend the time with him out to dinner than a quick thankyou tip does.

I have had the same instructor for all of my certs. I'm currently working on my divemaster cert. She doesn't accept tips at all, nor do her other instructors. Heck, it's hard enough paying for the courses and the books. For my enriched air course the tables...there are 3...cost $10 a pop. PADI...Put Another Dollar In...:)

In my own defence I will say this... My view is my own, not a Canadian point of view! Some tip everyone that does them a service, like my Parents. Where I live in Canada the minimum wage is over $8hr. Most places pay more than that, but that is the minimum someone can get paid *leagaly*... Be it a server, dishwasher or a janitor.

Sorry but I've never travelled outside Canada/States so telling me people's kids won't eat in India or wherever, doesn't phase me. I understand their situations and "if" I was in "that" part of the world I would most defentialy tip.

I also stated that instructors shouldn't get in to their field for the money because we all know there isn't great amounts of it. (I believe) One should do it for the passion of diving and to share their joy with others. No I haven't tipped any of my instructors! ... But I do keep coming back, paying for new courses, gear and anything else from their store.... And I always let the owner/manager know he/she got this sale because of the great instructor I had or because his/her salesmanship. I would hope that would help him/her out at Christmas Bonus time or annual review.

As far as my beliefs on tipping other people that isn't really what this whole thread was about.

B

BTW - Telling your server you don't tip before getting your bill... Hah Yeah, make sure to do that next time.

rawls:
I have had the same instructor for all of my certs. I'm currently working on my divemaster cert. She doesn't accept tips at all, nor do her other instructors. Heck, it's hard enough paying for the courses and the books....
I would have bet (and lost the bet I see) that you were living in Singapore or peninsular Malaysia. Instructors and DM's don't get tipped at all around here, at least that I ever heard of.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom