Tipping instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmyva

Registered
Reaction score
Will be completing OW certification in Cozumel. How do you determine the tip %age? Do you base it on the total charge for the Referral Certification?

jmyva:
Will be completing OW certification in Cozumel. How do you determine the tip %age? Do you base it on the total charge for the Referral Certification?
tip as to what you feel comfortable with..generally $50. is considered ok and appreciated..for the training dives...additional if diving all week with the same instr/dm..

I've been tipped as much as 200 and as little as nothing. Way more often nothing than anything but I teach through a shop.

I never talk about tips with students as I consider that unprofessional but tips are always appreciated of course.

I always feel that a tip only shows up if you've gone above and beyond what people expected.

jmyva:

You shouldn't feel obligated to tip the instructor but you're certainly welcome to show your appreciation. On the rare occasions that I've seen instructors tipped it's usually a couple of bottles of wine or something along those lines.

R..

Interesting It never even dawned on me to to tip an instructor. I certainly always tip our dive crew on trips............but an instructor?? hummmm

Happy Diving

It will be a cold day in hades before I tip an instructor $200 on a course that is already $299 (that is $500!). I would say the standard 15-25 % is acceptable, depending on the level of instruction that YOU feel like you received. But to give 70% tip? I make a descent income, so it's not a matter of having the money. I just don't agree with tipping THAT much (unless she's really hot) for something they are already getting paid for.

Rad,

I have used the same instructor for the following classes...

Advanced Nitrox
Decompression Procedures
Cavern
Intro to Cave
Apprentice to Cave
Full Cave

as well as some medical type classes such as...

DAN O2 Provider
CPR with AED training

The total cost for all of these classes was spread out over a year or so as was the instruction, but the total cost for the instruction was somthing in excess of $1600. I don't keep records of how much I tip a dive instructor, but I think the total tip was around $400 or $500 for the entire course of instructon. Some was cash and some was provided in excellent seats for he and his wife to a major Broadway musical.

Did he expect a tip, I don't think he did. Was I happy to give him one, yes I was.

Mark Vlahos

can I put out an idea? (I am not saying don't tip!)

I prefer to take someone to dinner, bring them a killer lunch or something before the class (or whatever) is over. You will both appreciate the vibes and you will get special treatment! If you "front-load", you will get better service and better accomadation. You can be sincere about it by the way. I am totally over the entire tip protoccol, myself. I am generous, make me like you, thats my attitude. You know...like a bribe, but nicer.

Mark Vlahos:
Rad,

I have used the same instructor for the following classes...

Advanced Nitrox
Decompression Procedures
Cavern
Intro to Cave
Apprentice to Cave
Full Cave

as well as some medical type classes such as...

DAN O2 Provider
CPR with AED training

The total cost for all of these classes was spread out over a year or so as was the instruction, but the total cost for the instruction was somthing in excess of $1600. I don't keep records of how much I tip a dive instructor, but I think the total tip was around $400 or $500 for the entire course of instructon. Some was cash and some was provided in excellent seats for he and his wife to a major Broadway musical.

Did he expect a tip, I don't think he did. Was I happy to give him one, yes I was.

Mark Vlahos

And 25% of $1600 is $400 and 30% is $500. As the total prices of your classes grows, keeping a constant of $500, your tip percentage will go down to approximately what I said, 15-25 %. That is a FAR cry of 70% (70% of $1600 would be $1120.00). I could see giving a tip like the one you outlined.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom