What "test" do you do in your training to sort of demonstrate Nark-ness?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation

Relocated to South Florida....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I can't get into I-to-I anymore, so I'll ask it here.

I've never taken one of these tests. The square peg-round hole thing... you know what I mean. Take a class to 100 and load 'em up and then demo for them that their thought process and motor skills really are impacted.

I want to take one. I want to go down to depth with a buddy in a very controlled situation and test myself.

So - what do you guys give your class? In my AOW we never did this stuff. I want to do it this weekend. What do you do?

Rubicks Cube? Solve Pi to 64 digits? The Principia?

Thanks

Ken

Ken,

I did a knot tying test. Unfortunately when I was timed on the surface I thought I was demonstrating the knots to the rest of the class so I was slow and clear. When I did the test underwater I knew I was being timed so I did the clove hitch and bowline very quickly. The instructor said I was the only student he ever had that tied the knots somthing like 10 times faster underwater.

I like the idea of the little plastic childs toy with the different shaped pegs and holes. Drill holes in the pieces so depth does not squish them and have at it!

Mark Vlahos

Fortunately for the dive industry, I'm not an instructor. However, when I did my AOW on the GBR, our degree of narced'ness was tested with a 20 square (4 x 5) random matrix of the numbers 1 thru 20. You had to point to them in sequence and be timed doing so at the surface and at 100 ft. The times were longer at depth due to narcosis (and a host of other unmeasured factors).

Try this: take Your tables out and a slate and figure Your decompression using the chart and compute Your bottom time at 100' then figure out what the decompression time would be for 30min later at depth.
I guess some would have to practice the tables before attempting it at depth! Thinking is slowed at 99' so figuring the tables will take longer than on the surface.
I wonder........are they even teaching tables anymore or just how to run a computer? B-------

Tables? The only Tables I want to see are at Arnie Mortons or the Palm.

---
Ken

On my AOW deep dive, they made me write my phone number and solve some addition problems. I did them just as fast as I could do them on the surface. That was at 99 feet. At essentially the same depth eight months later -- but in worse lighting and visibility -- I had a very unpleasant experience that was probably a dark narc.

We did the tables thing on my AOW and was interesting to see the results! People were taking up to 10 times longer to complete a simple task!!! There are several ways of doing it and of course people are more susceptible than others!!

I always let my students write there full name from right to left.
I use a big A4 slate and a big pen,we have dark water over here:D
You can almost hear there tiny brains rumble:D :D

300bar diver:
I always let my students write there full name from right to left

Have you ever found that some get their names wrong!!!!?

During my AOW training the instructor used a padlock. The combination was different than the one used on the surface and was revealed to me at 99fsw written on a slate. I was so disappointed to discover that I did, in fact, take a few extra seconds. I really, really liked whipped cream as a teenager :wink: and was sure that'd afford me more of an increased tolerance than it seems to've. Oh well.

I wondered later how many times he was able to use the same padlock before everything seized up permanently...

Good luck,

Adam

Back
Top Bottom